SMITHFIELD, R.I. -- The Bryant University field hockey season officially begins on Friday evening, as the team will travel to take on 16th-ranked Boston University at 6:30 p.m. at New Balance Field in Boston. The meeting between the two schools is one of two first-round games of the Terrier Classic.
Opponent: Boston University
Game Time: 6:30 p.m. EDT
Watch Live: Patriot League Network
Live Stats: Sidearm
- Friday's encounter between the two programs will be the first-ever in program history.
- The Bulldogs are 14-5 all-time against current Patriot League foes.
Bulldogs Notes and Notables
- The Bulldogs are looking for their first win against a ranked opponent in the Division I era.
- Bryant's captains are the senior unit of Grace Farrell (Milford, Pa.), Keighan Richardson (Attleboro, Mass.), and Bethany Winkin (Winslow, Maine).
- With a win, the Black and Gold will compete in the championship game of the Terrier Classic on Sunday at 3:30 p.m. versus the winner of Northeastern vs. New Hampshire. The consolation game will be played preceding the championship, with a start time of 1 p.m.
- The last time the Bulldogs competed against a ranked opponent was last season when they traveled to the University of Maine. The 20th-ranked Black Bears won the contest, 2-0.
A bit about the Terriers
- Boston University is coming off of a 13-6 season that saw them compete in the Patriot League Championship game, where they fell to American, 1-0.
- Terrier junior Ally Hammel was named the Patriot League Preseason Defensive Player of the Year, while senior midfielder Kali Shumock was named to the all-league team by the conference.
- BU is led by NFHCA Hall of Fame coach Sally Starr, who enters her 37th season at the university. During her time there, Starr has posted a record of 436-274-19.