BOSTON, Mass. – Freshman forward Madison Demand (Waretown, New Jersey) scored her first collegiate goal, but the Bryant University field hockey team fell to the Northeastern Huskies in the consolation game of the 2017 Terrier Classic on Sunday afternoon, 8-1. The game was played at Boston University's New Balance Field.
Final Score: Northeastern 8, Bryant 1
Records: Northeastern 1-1, Bryant 0-2
Location: New Balance Field (Boston, Mass.)
COACH DE VRIES' COMMENTS
"I don't want to look at the score because I feel that this is another step in the journey that we are on," Bryant head coach Joppe de Vries said. "We're trying to work on little things over and over again, and little things per game. I feel that we were successful in some areas.
"We started off playing two great teams this weekend," de Vries continued. "With seven freshmen and a new coaching staff, I think this group is doing awesome. I can't wait to go up to Maine and show what we can do right there."
● Leading 3-1, Northeastern scored 21 seconds into the second half when Jamie Bartucca scored her second goal of the game. Bartucca dribbled into the circle to draw freshman goalkeeper Lyndsay Swanston (Burlington, Ontario) out of the net before firing into the right side of the goal.
● 8th minute – NU 1, Bryant 0 – NU's Kellie Stigas dribbled into the left-center of the circle and fired in from eight yards out.
● 13th minute – NU 2, Bryant 0 – Laura MacLachlan picked up a loose ball in front of the goal mouth and scored into the right-center of the cage.
● 17th minute – NU 3, Bryant 0 – Bartucca scored off of a corner, picking up a rebounded shot and shooting into the middle of the goal.
● 28th minute – NU 3, Bryant 1 – Demand scored her first collegiate goal when she fired in from the top of the circle as senior Bethany Winkin (Winslow, Maine) shaded the goalkeeper for the first Bulldogs goal of the season.
● 36th minute – NU 4, Bryant 1 – Bartucca's second goal. The forward dribbled into the circle, drawing Swanston out of the net before putting the ball into the cage.
● 41st minute – NU 5, Bryant 1 – June Curry-Lindahl scored from the left of the cage after putting in a centering pass from Bartucca.
● 44th minute – NU 6, Bryant 1 – NU's Camille O'Conor tipped in a shot from Sam Bodo to give Northeastern a five-goal lead.
● 60th minute – NU 7, Bryant 1 – After picking up a rebounded shot, Curry-Lindahl shot the ball in from the left of the post for the Huskie score.
● 63rd minute – NU 8, Bryant 1 – O'Conor scored again from the right side of the goal, firing in from six yards out.
● This was the first game against Northeastern in program history.
● Bryant allowed four-fewer corners on Sunday than they did in the season opener at Boston University. The Bulldogs also earned their first corner of the season.
● The Bulldogs made 10 saves in goal, five from both Miranda Grundy (Smithfield, Rhode Island) and Swanston, who made her collegiate debut.
Bryant travels to Orono, Maine to square off with 24th ranked Maine on Tuesday at 3 p.m. The team's met last season with the Black Bears coming away with a 2-0 win.