ORONO, Maine – Junior midfielder Victoria Newbill (Wilton, Maine) scored her first goal of the season late in the second half, but the Bryant University field hockey team fell to 24th ranked Maine Black Bears on Tuesday, 12-1. The game was played at the UMaine Field Hockey Complex in Orono.
Maine 12, Bryant 1
Records: Bryant (0-3), Maine (2-1)
Location: UMaine Field Hockey Complex (Orono, Maine)
COACH DE VRIES' COMMENTS
"Obviously this is not the start that we hoped for," Bryant head coach Joppe de Vries said. "The women really try hard and it's up to me to guide them. I am a positive person and I see a lot of positives with this team. For instance, the second half we intercepted more of Maine's passes than in the first and played very free. We are a very young and very new team and growing each day. Today was a big learning opportunity, maybe not hockey wise, but for the group. We will get stronger!"
Maine got on the board early, scoring in the first minute of the game. Madison Cummings dribbled into the circle on the first possession and fired a shot into the cage.
- 66th minute – Maine 12, Bryant 1 – Newbill fired on a helper from classmate Emily Perryman (Lebanon, N.H.) to spoil Maine's shutout.
- This was the first game of the season where the Bulldogs rattled off multiple shots on goal. Senior Grace Farrell (Milford, Pennsylvania) fired off a shot in addition to Newbill's score.
- Bryant has scored more goals through three games than a year ago. The Black and Gold's two strikes in 2017 is two more than the team had over three games a season ago.
- The goalkeeper duo of sophomore Miranda Grundy (Smithfield, Rhode Island) and freshman Lyndsay Swanston (Burlington, Ontario) each recorded three saves to total six stops for Bryant.
- Newbill's goal was her first since the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Tournament last season vs. Fairfield.
- Perryman's helper was her first of the season and first since Oct. 14 of last season vs. Fairfield.
The Bulldogs return to Rhode Island and play interstate rival Brown on Friday, Sept. 1 at Noon. The game will be played at Goldberger Family Field in Providence.