Providence, R.I. – Bryant University field hockey fell to California on Friday afternoon, 8-0, at Goldberger Family Field in Providence. The Bulldogs move to 1-5 on the season, while the Golden Bears improve to 2-3.
California 8, Bryant 0
Records: California (2-3), Bryant (1-5)
Location: Goldberger Family Field (Providence, R.I.)
COACH DE VRIES' COMMENTS
"I'm really happy with how the team played in the first half," Bryant head coach Joppe de Vries said after the game. "We played them tough and really fought. The second half, there was a lack of communication which really hurt us. We will be working on that today and tomorrow, and I have all the confidence that we are still building and growing our game."
The Golden Bears scored two goals early in the second half to double their lead and jump out in front, 4-0. Gabi Jimenez scored 1:22 into the second half, while Megan Rodgers followed up with a goal to ignite Cal's offense.
- 6th minute – California 1, Bryant 0 – Cal's Katrina Carter dribbled to the right of the circle and fired high into the goal for the Golden Bear's first score.
- 20th minute – California 2, Bryant 0 – Megan Rodgers fought through defenders, momentarily lost control of the ball but recollected and scored to give Cal its second goal.
- 37th minute – California 3, Bryant 0 – Jimenez's scored from in front of the goal.
- 48th minute – California 4, Bryant 0 – Rodgers' scored her second goal of the game, dribbling in from the left of the goal and shooting across the goal mouth to the right of the net.
- 60th minute – California 5, Bryant 0 – Maddie Cleat also dribbled in from the left, shooting past the Bulldog defense for the score.
- 66th minute – California 6, Bryant 0 – Rodgers' earned the hat trick, as she scored off of a corner. Femke Delissen and Lindsay Mathison were credited with the assist on the play.
- 68th minute – California 7, Bryant 0 – Melina Moore got on the board, scoring off of another corner. Janaye Sakkas inserted for the Bears, and Jimenez stopped to set up the goal.
- 70th minute – California 8, Bryant 0 – With time stopped, Cal scored on a corner after goalkeeper Lyndsay Swanston (Burlington, Ontario) stopped two straight shots from the high-powered Cal offense. Alie Zimmer snuck one past Swanston as the horn sounded.
- Sophomore Floor van Dommelen (Berg en Dal, Netherlands) fired a rocket toward the goal in the first half via a penalty corner, but an outstretched California goalkeeper made a save to keep the Bulldogs scoreless.
The Bulldogs head to the road on Sunday, traveling to Hanover, New Hampshire for a matchup with Dartmouth. The game is scheduled for a 3 p.m. start time and will be broadcasted on the Ivy League Network.