PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Grace Farrell (Milford, Pennsylvania) scored a first-half goal and goalkeeper Miranda Grundy (Smithfield, Rhode Island) made five saves, but the Bryant University field hockey team fell to UC Davis on Saturday, 2-1. The game was played at Goldberger Family Field in Providence.
UC Davis 2, Bryant 1
Records: UC Davis (1-6), Bryant (1-7)
Location: Goldberger Family Field (Providence)
COACH DE VRIES' COMMENTS
"We hung in there, and that's a super positive thing," Bryant head coach Joppe de Vries said after the game. "This was a game that could go either way. In the last couple minutes, we were able to get into the circle and get a couple corners. The most positive thing today was we hung in there. Anything can happen, so big kudos for the players to keep battling."
With the score tied at one, UC Davis' Carli Colyer scored after receiving a pass at the left of the goal mouth from Madison Cohen. Colyer was able to beat the keeper in the 28th minute and put the Aggies out in front of the Bulldogs.
- 10th minute – UC Davis 1, Bryant 1 – Shea Gavin put a shot on the right side of the goal for the game's first score. Gavin received a pass from Colyer, who pushed upfield and found open space for the pass.
- 19th minute – UC Davis 1, Bryant 1 – Farrell buried a shot into UC Davis's goalie, Chelsea Bigelow, who made a save. The rebound bounced back toward Farrell, who lifted the ball over the outstretched reach of Bigelow to even the score.
- 28th minute – Colyer's goal gave the lead to the Aggies, who would hold it throughout the remainder of the game.
- Grundy had her best save percentage of the season, stopping five shots and allowing just the two scores. The sophomore also made a great play coming out of the goal to kick aside the ball on a UC Davis breakaway in the second half.
- Farrell's score was her first since Oct. 7 of last season, when she buried a shot against LIU Brooklyn.
The Bulldogs are next in action on Sunday, Sept. 17 when they travel to New York City for a showdown against Columbia. The game is set for a 1 p.m. start time.