NEW YORK – Freshman Kylie Nelson (Searsmont, Maine) scored her first-career goal, but the Bryant University field hockey team fell to Columbia, 6-1, on Sunday afternoon at the Columbia Field Hockey Stadium in New York.
Columbia 6, Bryant 1
Records: Columbia (3-3), Bryant (1-8)
Location: Columbia Field Hockey Stadium (New York)
COACH DE VRIES' COMMENTS
"We started off really slow, but after the three early goals, we woke up," Bryant head coach Joppe de Vries said, "That needs to change and is something we will work on. We started the second half the way I would like to start every half, smart, alert and fast. Congratulations to Kylie on her first Bryant goal."
Columbia scored three goals within 70 seconds of each other to jump out to an early lead over the Bulldogs. The first score was by Maeve Doherty in the sixth minute, while Katie Koester and Michelle Thompson added goals in the seventh minute.
- 6th minute – Columbia 1, Bryant 0 – Doherty scored on a penalty corner that was inserted by Thompson and stopped by Lindsay Ladas.
- 7th minute – Columbia 2, Bryant 0 – Koester scooped up a rebounded shot and fired it past the Bryant goalkeeper to take a 2-0 lead over the Bulldogs. Koester's goal would prove to be the game-winning score.
- 7th minute – Columbia 3, Bryant 0 – Thompson scored on a backdoor play and tipped in a shot from the left side by Doherty.
- 24th minute – Columbia 3, Bryant 1 – Grace Farrell (Milford, Pennsylvania) received a pass from outside the circle by Leyna DiMarco (Glastonbury, Connecticut). Farrell drew the goalkeeper out of position and passed to Nelson, who eased the ball into the right corner of the goal for the first score of her career.
- 26th minute – Columbia 4, Bryant 1 – Koester scored her second goal of the game when she re-directed a shot from Ladas into the goal.
- 52nd minute – Columbia 5, Bryant 1 – Doherty also had two marks, scoring off of a corner inserted by Thompson and stopped by Cavanaugh.
- 56th minute – Columbia 6, Bryant 1 – Columbia's final goal came off the stick of Whitney Hartstone, who tipped in a hard sweeping pass from Doherty.
- The goal by Nelson was the first of her career. She joins Madison Demand (Waretown, New Jersey) and Alex Neumann (Auckland, New Zealand) as freshmen who have scored goals for the Bulldogs in 2017.
- Sunday's game was also the first start that Lyndsay Swanston (Burlington, Ontario) has made in her career. The freshman blocked six shots against the Lions.
- DiMarco also earned a defensive save in Sunday's contest, the first of her career.
- Bryant has played three members of the Ivy League in 2017, with another matchup coming against Yale on Oct. 8.
The Bulldogs host Vermont and Colgate on Sept. 22 and 24, respectively. The game versus the Catamounts will be played at Goldberger Family Field at 4 p.m., while Colgate and Bryant will meet at Providence College for a 1 p.m. contest.