Providence, R.I. – Bryant University field hockey scored three goals off the stick of three different players and was able to top the Colgate Raiders, 3-1, at Lennon Family Field on Sunday afternoon in Providence.
Bryant 3, Colgate 1
Records: Colgate (2-7), Bryant (2-9)
Location: Lennon Family Field (Providence, R.I.)
COACH DE VRIES' COMMENTS
"I think we worked so hard this week on the simple things," Bryant head coach Joppe de Vries said. "If we do the simple things well, we can beat every team. Our mindset was right, we played 35 minutes at a time. Once the second half started, we just focused on that 35 minutes. Our execution was key, we scored on a couple corners. I am super proud of the girls, they worked hard and were able to execute."
Recovering a rebounded shot by Victoria Newbill (Wilton, Maine), junior Emily Perryman (Lebanon, New Hampshire) was able to beat Colgate goalkeeper Maria Krull and score the second goal of the game for the Bulldogs, which proved to be the game-winner.
- 15th minute – Bryant 0, Colgate 1 – Iona MacKillop scored the lone Raiders goal of the afternoon when Katie Anderson passed toward the center of the circle. MacKillop collected the ball and fired into the top left of the goal to beat Lyndsay Swanston (Burlington, Ontario) for the score.
- 23rd minute – Bryant 1, Colgate 1 – The Bulldogs tied the game less than 10 minutes later after earning a penalty corner. Junior Haley Wood (Brownsville, Vermont) inserted directly to Floor van Dommelen (Berg en Dal, Netherlands), who was able to beat Krull by going toward the bottom-left of the net. The goal was van Dommelen's third of the season.
- 44th minute – Bryant 2, Colgate 1 – Perryman's game-winner was scored after the junior corralled a rebounded shot by Newbill. The Lebanon, New Hampshire native took advantage of Krull being out of place and was able to shoot in the bottom left of the cage for the score.
- 56th minute – Bryant 3, Colgate 1 – Ally Burdick (Cambridge, New York) scored the first goal of her career after she grabbed a rebounded shot by van Dommelen that was saved by Krull and scored into the bottom right of the net. The goal gave Bryant some insurance that they would ultimately not need, as Burdick's score was the final goal of the game.
- Junior Leyna DiMarco (Glastonbury, Connecticut) earned a defensive save for the Bulldogs, her second of the season. Swanston made a save, but as the ball was deflected toward Colgate's Cady Kopsky, DiMarco stepped in and blocked the would-be goal.
- Swanston earned her first career win in net for the Bulldogs, making one save and allowing a goal. The Canadian goalkeeper managed the flow of the game from the cage and was a key reason that the Bulldogs allowed the lone score.
- Alex Neumann (Auckland, New Zealand) fired off two shots on goal, but Krull was able to be in position both times to earn saves.
The Bulldogs are home Friday, Sept. 29th when they host Rider in the conference opener. The game will be played at Goldberger Family Field and is slated for a 4 p.m. start time.