NEW HAVEN, Conn. – Freshman Alex Neumann (Auckland, New Zealand) scored a goal and classmate Lyndsay Swanston (Burlington, Ont.) stopped 11 shots, but the Bryant University field hockey team fell to Yale on Sunday, 4-1, at Johnson Field in New Haven.
Yale 4, Bryant 1
Records: Bryant (3-11, 1-0 MAAC), Yale (5-6, 0-1 Ivy)
Location: Johnson Field (New Haven, Conn.)
COACH DE VRIES' COMMENTS
"The statistics showed that we had a tough game," Bryant head coach Joppe de Vries said. "We were able to manage to stay in the game after a tough first half. In the second half, we came out with a different mindset which resulted in a goal for us. We had the momentum, but we were not able to sustain and that needs to change before Friday. I know we will change that."
After Bryant sophomore Freya Ward (West Sussex, England) was issued a green card in the 63rd minute, Yale capitalized by scoring two goals within two minutes to extend a 2-1 lead into a 4-1 win.
- 8th minute – Yale 1, Bryant 0 – Bridget Condie scored the game's first goal on a penalty corner. Condie shot a ball that found the net after being stopped by Marissa Medici and Imogen Davies.
- 23rd minute – Yale 2, Bryant 0 – Davies tipped a shot sent in by Condie for Yale's second goal of the afternoon. Condie rifled a shot on goal for via a penalty corner, but Davies was able to apply a misdirected tip to find the netting.
- 61st minute – Yale 2, Bryant 1 – Bryant got on the board thanks to Neumann's strike. Neumann sent a shot on goal that was saved, but Clare Luttrell (Freehold, N.J.) collected a rebound and sent it back over to Neumann who was able to create enough space to put a shot past Yale's Sydney Terroso.
- 63rd minute – Yale 3, Bryant 1 – Condie's second goal of the contest came after the green card was issued to Ward. Condie created space in front of the net and was able to beat Swanston to score the third goal for Yale.
- 64th minute – Yale 4, Bryant 1 – Holly Jackson was able to just push the ball past the goal line for the fourth Yale goal and the final score of the game. Camille Scheyer inserted a pass past the Bryant defense on a penalty corner, and Jackson had just enough space to push the ball into the goal.
- Swanston stopped 11 of 15 shots sent on goal by the home team. In the 53rd minute, Swanston came diving out of the right of the goal to stop a shot by Anissa Aboud. It was her second game in a row this season with at least 11 saves, the last coming at Drexel on Oct. 1.
- Senior Keighan Richardson (North Attleboro, Mass.) earned her second defensive save of the season. Richardson was able to get in front of Imogies' shot in the 49th minute to record the save.
- Bryant moves to 1-6 in road games this season, with their win coming at the shared Goldberger Family Field against Brown.
The Bulldogs will resume MAAC play on Friday, Oct. 13 when they travel to Fairfield for a matchup with the Stags. The game is slated for a 4 p.m. start and will be played at Fairfield's University Field.