PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Freshman forward Alex Neumann (Auckland, New Zealand) scored in the second half to bring Bryant within a goal, but Monmouth would score twice after and come out on top, 4-1, as Bryant University field hockey fell to the Hawks on Friday afternoon at Goldberger Family Field.
Monmouth 4, Bryant 1
Records: Monmouth (13-3, 4-1 MAAC) Bryant (3-15, 1-4 MAAC)
Location: Goldberger Family Field (Providence, R.I.)
COACH DE VRIES' COMMENTS
"They fought, they really fought," Bryant head coach Joppe de Vries said. "This was not the result that we hoped for, but 2-0 down, coming back, we had a lot of pressure on them. We need to figure out a way to keep that momentum going and keep that pressure on them. If we can keep on pushing, then great things are about to happen."
Just over ten minutes into the second half, Bryant was awarded a penalty corner after Monmouth committed an infraction inside the circle. The Bulldogs were able to capitalize, as Neumann was able to create space and fire a shot into the goal.
- 8th minute – Monmouth 1, Bryant 0 – Monmouth's Rachel Konowal shot from the edge of the circle through traffic and found the net for the first Hawks goal of the evening.
- 23rd minute – Monmouth 2, Bryant 0 – Konowal recovered a rebounded shot and passed out to Julie Laszlo, who was able to find the net on a shot attempt.
- 46th minute – Monmouth 2, Bryant 1 – Neumann's score came on a penalty corner that was inserted by Keighan Richardson (North Attleboro, Mass.) and stopped by Victoria Newbill (Wilton, Maine). Neumann fired a shot that hit a Monmouth defender's stick, but acted as a deflection and found its way into the goal for the Bulldog score.
- 59th minute – Monmouth 1, Bryant 1 – Georgia Garden Bachop scored the third Monmouth goal of the afternoon on a Hawks corner attempt. Garden Bachop received a pass from Tamar Klinkhammer after a few passes once the ball was inserted and was able to find open space for the goal.
- 70th minute – Monmouth 4, Bryant 1 – Monmouth's final score came in the last seven seconds of the game as the team was awarded a late penalty corner. Klinkhammer received the corner directly from Kelly Hanna and shot into the left of the net for the final goal of the game.
- Prior to Friday's game, the graduating senior class of Bethany Winkin (Winslow, Maine), Keighan Richardson (North Attleboro, Mass.) and Grace Farrell (Milford, Pa.) was honored with a pre-game celebration. Friday was the trio's last home game at Bryant.
- Junior Leyna DiMarco (Glastonbury, Conn.) earned her fourth defensive save of the season. She now is second in the conference in the statistic, no longer tied with Richardson.
- Richardson's assist was her team-best fifth of the season.
- Lyndsay Swanston (Burlington, Ont.) made 14 saves in the game, a new career high. This was the fourth time this season Swanston made at least 10 saves, the last occurring at Fairfield on Oct. 15.
The Bulldogs are back in action on Sunday, Oct. 29 at 1 p.m. when they travel to Siena. The game will serve the final game of the season for both the Saints and the Bulldogs.