PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Bryant University field hockey team fell to Brown University, 3-1, Friday afternoon. The Bulldogs came out with a great start scoring in the first five minutes of the game, but Brown was able to answer back with three consecutive goals.
Records: Brown 1-0, Bryant 0-3
Location: Goldberger Family Field (Providence, R.I.)
Coach de Vries' Comments
"Brown has not played a single game yet so they were ready to go, and I thought, and how we started the game, that we were ready to go too," de Vries said. "We let one or two mistakes determine our play."
In the second half, Brown took the lead when Ellie Seid popped the ball into the net after a series of rebounds off of a penalty corner. Once Brown took the lead, the Bulldogs remained scoreless in the second half.
- 3' – Emily Perryman (Lebanon, N.H.) took the first penalty corner of the game for the Bulldogs. Pia Klupp (Hamburg, Germany) shot the ball but Brown's goal keeper was able to deflect it. Perryman got the rebound and was able to get the ball into the net for a Bulldog goal.
- 12' - Brown took its first penalty corner of the game and passed it to Rachel Lanouette, who then passed it to Ali Dunning. Lyndsay Swanston (Burlington, Ont.) tried diving in front of the pass but was unsuccessful. With Swanston on the ground, Ali Dunning was able to find the back of the net to even the score.
- 19' – Off of another Brown penalty corner, the ball ping-ponged around the circle from player to player. The ball found it's way to Ellie Seid's stick and she was able to finish which gave Brown its first lead of the game.
- 47' – During Brown's fifth penalty corner of the game, Rachel Lanouette tallied her second assist of the game. Lanouette was able to get the ball to Gina Openshaw who was strategically placed behind the Bulldogs' defense. Openshaw was able to pop the ball into the net for the final goal of the day.
- Perryman scored her first goal of the season, which brings her to a career total of 13. Freya Ward (Haywards Heath, West Sussex, England) assisted the goal, which was her first assist of the season.
- Senior Leyna DiMarco (Glastonbury, Conn.) led the team with two shots. Both of her shots were on frame.
- Brown outshot the Bulldogs 11-4 with six of those shots on goal. The goalkeeping duo of Swanston and Marijn Jaarsma (Uithoorn, Netherlands) split the minutes for today's game and tallied three saves between the two of them.
Bryant will take another short trip to Providence for a Sunday afternoon meeting at Providence College at 1 p.m.