PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Bryant University field hockey team fell to the Friars of Providence College, 4-1, on Sunday afternoon. Ally Burdick (Cambridge, N.Y.) scored her first goal of the season but it was not enough to hold off Providence.
Records: Providence 2-3, Bryant 0-4
Location: Lennon Family Field (Providence, R.I.)
Coach de Vries' Comments
"The girls need to be believe that they can do it and I don't see belief on the field," de Vries stated. "On the plus, they didn't score a field goal, it was all corners, and Brown was all corners. Do I like that? No. But is it something we can fix? Yes. So now back to the drawing board."
After the Friar's tenth penalty corner, Izzy Mendez scored by chasing down her own rebound and shooting the ball for PC's fourth and final goal. The Friar goal occurred just six minutes after the Bulldogs scored their lone goal of the game, which ended Bryant's momentum.
- 7' – Amanda Collins took Providence's fourth penalty corner of the game. Collins got the ball to Maddie Babineau who set up Allyson Parker for a goal from the top of the circle.
- 30' – In the Friars seventh penalty corner of the game, Parker was able to find the back of the net. Mary O'reilly took the corner and passed the ball to Babineau who set Parker up for the duo's second goal and assist of the game.
- 41' – Kara Sanford scores off of Providence's first penalty corner of the second half, ninth of the game. Corinne Kenney passed the ball from the top of the key to Sanford who was placed received the ball behind the Bulldog defense. Sanford was able to capitalize and score the third Friar goal.
- 48' – Off of a penalty corner, Victoria Newbill (Wilton, Maine) shot the ball from the top of the corner. Newbill's shot was blocked by the goalie and Burdick was able to get the rebound and put the ball away for the lone Bulldog goal.
- 55' – During the Friar's tenth penalty corner, Izzy Mendez shoots but is Marijn Jaarsma (Uithoorn, Netherlands) deflects the shot. After her first shot was unsuccessful, Mendez chases down her rebound to try a second time and finds herself successful for the final goal of the game.
- Senior Leyna DiMarco (Glastonbury, Conn.) led the team with two shots and one on goal.
- Sophomore Burdick scored her first goal of the season, which adds up to three total career goals.
- Jaarsma played the full 70 minutes in the cage for the Bulldogs saving nine shots.
- The Friars outshot the Bulldogs, 17-5. The Friars also led in penalty corners, 17-4.
Bryant will host Drexel on Friday for the home opener of the 2018 season at Brown at 3 p.m.