SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University field hockey team will host Drexel in its season opener at Brown on Friday afternoon before meeting with Hofstra on Sunday.
Date: Sept. 7, 2018
Location: Goldberger Family Field (Providence, R.I.)
Game Time: 3 p.m.
Live Stats: Presto
- This will be the second time in school history that the two teams will meet. The Dragons topped the Bulldogs last year, 4-0.
A bit about the Dragons
- The Dragons are 3-1 coming into the weekend most recently beating Indiana, 2-0.
- This weekend marks the first time the Dragons will be on the road for the 2018 season, as they also travel to Yale on Sunday.
- Tess Bernheimer leads the team in goals scoring three on the season. Bernheimer also leads the team with seven points as she tallied an assist in Drexel's win over Indiana.
- Alexis Sokach has played every game in the cage for the Dragons splitting the minutes during their home opener against Virginia with Kathryn Boyce. Sokach has made 16 saves on the season with a season high of six saves that she recorded twice against Indiana and Rider. Boyce made eight saves against Virginia.
- Drexel is led by Denise Zelenak as she enters her 24th season. Zelenak posts a 237-219 record during her time with the Dragons.
Date: Sept. 9, 2018
Location: Hofstra Field Hockey Field (Hempstead, N.Y.)
Game Time: 2 p.m.
Live Stats: Stat Broadcast
Live Audio: Stretch Internet
- This will be the first meeting in history between the two teams.
- Bryant and Hofstra both attended the River Hawk Classic at UMass Lowell this year.
A bit about the Friars
- Hofstra enters the weekend with a record of, 1-3, winning their season opener over VCU during a shootout. They will be meeting with Yale prior to Sunday's matchup.
- Cami Larsson and Hannah Zemaitis are both tied in leading the Pride with one goal each. Both goals occurred in their win over VCU.
- Betty Bosma has played every minute of the season in net for the Pride as a freshman. Bosma records 45 saves on the season with a season-high of 18 in Hofstra's 8-0 loss to Rider.
- Kathy De Angelis leads the Pride as she enters her 21st season.
Bryant Notes and Notables
- Sophomore Ally Burdick (Cambridge, N.Y.) and senior Leyna DiMarco (Glastonbury, Conn.) lead the team in goals scored each netting one a piece.
- Freshman Marijn Jaarsma (Uithoorn, Netherlands) has recorded 24 saves so far on the season while only allowing eight goals. The rookie ranks fourth in the conference for her goals against average of 2.80.
- Senior Emily Perryman (Lebanon, N.H.) leads the team with three points scoring a goal at Brown and tallying an assist against VCU.
- Friday will be Bryant's home opener and the Bulldogs will be looking for their first win of the 2018 season.