FAIRFIELD, CONN. – Despite a good defensive effort, the Bryant University field hockey team lost in its first conference game of the season to Fairfield, 1-0, late Friday afternoon.
Records: Fairfield 10-2, Bryant 2-10
Location: University Field (Fairfield, Conn.)
Coach de Vries comments
"We sustained their pressure in the first half really well but didn't convert any of our chances in the second half. We're doing great defensively but need to get up the field and get close to the goal. Right now, the next step for us is for the girls to trust and believe in themselves, and their teammates, to get into the circle and make something happen."
- Off of a restart, Casey Wheeler (Cape Town, South Africa) tried passing to a fellow teammate when Fairfield's Emma Matlach intercepted the pass right outside of the circle. Matlach dribbled around the Bulldog defense and fired a shot that got past Marijn Jaarsma (Uithoorn, Netherlands) for the lone goal of the game.
- 28' – Fairfield 1, Bryant 0 – Emma Matlach intercepts Wheeler's pass and dribbles around the Bulldog defenders. She fires a shot from the top of the circle that squeaks right through Jaarsma's legs.
- Fairfield attempted six back-to-back penalty corners within a three-minute span during the first half. The Bulldog defense refused to give up a goal off of a corner as Jaarsma stopped a pair of shots during the series of plays.
- Jaarsma faced 15 shots, with eight of them on goal, compiling seven saves for the day. The rookie improves her career save percentage to .798 at the conclusion of the game.
- Emily Perryman (Lebanon, N.H.) led the Bulldogs in shots as the senior captain fired three while putting one on frame. Ally Burdick (Cambridge, N.Y.) and Pia Klupp (Hamburg, Germany) each added a shot as Bryant was outshot, 15-5.
The Bulldogs will meet with another conference foe when they travel to Monmouth on Sunday.