ITHACA, N.Y. – The Big Red of Cornell blanked the Bryant University field hockey, 4-0, on Sunday afternoon as the Bulldogs close out the 2018 season.
Records: Cornell 4-12, Bryant 3-15
Location: Dodson Field (Ithaca, N.Y.)
Coach de Vries Comments
"I want to congratulate our four seniors for their careers," said head coach, Joppe de Vries. "Well done to Cornell as they capitalized on their opportunities. We will keep on working to grow and get stronger for next season."
Cornell's Kristen Ferguson netted a goal from the top of the circle off a penalty corner. This gave the Big Red the lead and put the momentum of the game in their favor for the remainder of the match.
- 12' – Cornell 1, Bryant 0 – Directly off a penalty corner, Kristen Ferguson fired the ball from the top of the circle. The ball took a bounce and went over the Bryant goalkeeper.
- 20' – Cornell 2, Bryant 0 – Cornell stole the ball from the Bulldogs in its offensive third of the field. Julianna Mangano passed to Isabel Windham in the circle who lifted the ball into the cage.
- 44' – Cornell 3, Bryant 0 – Grace Royer for the Big Red carried the ball and shot an uncontested shot from the top of the circle.
- 46' – Cornell 4, Bryant 0 – During an attempt to clear the ball from the circle, Claire Jones received the ball from Kate McGillis and tapped the ball into the cage.
- This game ended the careers of the four seniors, Leyna DiMarco (Glastonbury, Conn.), Victoria Newbill (Wilton, Maine), Emily Perryman (Lebanon, N.H.), and Haley Wood (Brownsville, Vt.). The four seniors have left their mark on the Bryant program competing in a combined 255 games and a post-season appearance in 2016.
- DiMarco led the Bulldogs with two shots. Brittany Gouws (Cape Town, South Africa), Ally Burdick (Cambridge, N.Y.), Casey Wheeler (Cape Town, South Africa), Perryman and Wood all contributed shots as well.
- Marijn Jaarsma (Uithoorn, Netherlands) faced 11 shots today stopping seven.