SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University field hockey team returns to the Ocean State this weekend as the Bulldogs are set to endure back-to-back games against in-state foes Providence and Brown. The Bulldogs face off with the Friars on Friday, and Brown on Saturday.
- Friday marks the fourth all-time meeting between the two teams. Bryant has yet to take down Providence as the Friars hold the series record, 3-0.
- Last season Providence topped the Bulldogs, 4-1.
A BIT ABOUT THE FRIARS
- The Friars finished the 2018 season with an 11-8 overall mark and a 4-3 record in Big East play. Providence finished third in the Big East after the regular season but was blanked by Liberty, 4-0, in the opening round of playoffs.
- This season, the Friars post a 1-1 record after falling to Boston College, 2-1, in their season opener. Most recently, they topped 24th ranked Maine, 5-4, in overtime on Sunday.
- Providence was picked to finish third again in the Big East preseason poll. Graduate student Corinne Kenney and senior Mary O'Reilly were selected for the 14-player Preseason All-Big East Team after combining for four goals and seven assists in 2018.
- Junior Olivia Ward leads the Friars this season with two goals netting one in each of Providence's two games.
- Diane Madl leads the Friars in her 19th season as head coach.
- Brown holds the all-time series record, 6-4, as Saturday marks the 11th meeting in history between the Bears and the Bulldogs.
- Bryant fell, 3-1, last season to the Bears.
A BIT ABOUT THE BEARS
- Brown finished with an overall record of 7-10 and a 1-6 mark in Ivy League play in 2018.
- For the third year in a row, Brown opens its season with the Bulldogs.
- The Bears were picked to finish eighth in the eight-team conference as they return All-Ivy selections from 2018 in sophomore Danielle van Rootselaar and senior Ali Dunning.
- Jill Reeve leads the Bears in her ninth season as head coach.
BRYANT NOTES AND NOTABLES
- The Bulldogs dropped their season opener last week at Lock Haven, 1-0.
- Sophomore goalkeeper Marijn Jaarsma (Uithoorn, Netherlands) made seven saves in the cage at Lock Haven posting a save percentage of .875. Jaarsma ranks second in the Northeast Conference and ninth in the country for her save percentage efforts.
- Senior Clare Luttrell (Freehold, N.J.) posted the lone shot on goal in Bryant's season opener.