PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Just 24 hours after meeting with Providence, the Bryant University field hockey team fell to in-state rival Brown, 3-0, on Saturday afternoon.
Brown 3, Bryant 0
Records: Bryant 0-3, Brown 1-0
Location: Goldberger Family Field (Providence, R.I.)
COACH DE VRIES COMMENTS
"It was a tough game," said head coach Joppe de Vries. "Brown came at us with way more aggression and we struggled to stay composed. I'm glad we found a way to hold them off in the second half by playing disciplined and with more aggression. We are taking baby steps but it's time for a leap!"
- In the first quarter, the Bears jumped to a quick lead with two goals within a four-minute span.
- 7' – The Bears dribbled the ball to the right corner of the circle and crossed it across the cage. Gina Openshaw waited for the ball on the far post and tapped it in to take the lead, 1-0.
- 11' – Brown widened the margin four minutes later after a loose ball in the middle of the circle found the stick of Emma Rothkopf. Rothkopf collected the ball and fired it into the cage, 2-0.
- 24' – Openshaw netted her second goal of the game when the Bulldogs lost control of the ball just outside the top of the circle. Rothkopf intercepted the pass and found Openshaw by herself in front of cage, 3-0.
- Aisling Madden (Leeds, Yorkshire, England) led the Bulldogs with three shots and one on goal.
- Isa Oldekamp (Rotterdam, Netherlands) and Eva Bazen (The Hague, Netherlands) also put a shot each on frame.
- Oldekamp also tallied the first defensive save of the season for the Black and Gold.
- Junior Lyndsay Swanston (Burlington, Ont.) made her season debut in the cage making three saves in the second half.
- Brown outshot Bryant, 17-6.
- The Bulldogs fall to 4-7 all-time against the Bears.
The Bulldogs head to the City of Brotherly Love for a pair of weekend games at both Temple and Drexel. Bryant first meets with Temple on Friday, Sept. 13.