PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Bryant University field hockey team fell, 3-2, to Hofstra in its home opener after two overtimes and a shootout.
Freshman Isa Oldekamp (Rotterdam, Netherlands) and sophomore Eva Bazen (The Hague, Netherlands) netted their first collegiate goals as well as the first set of goals for the Black and Gold this season.
Hofstra 3, Bryant 2
Records: Bryant 0-6, Hofstra 3-4
Location: Goldberger Family Field (Providence, R.I.)
COACH DE VRIES COMMENTS
"Great performance by our team. We came back twice, which shows that we are really growing as a team. Right now we need to focus on Sunday and get a little bit better again."
- Bryant tied the game up in the 3rd period to force overtime, eventually leading to a shootout in which Hofstra outlasted the Bulldogs, 3-2.
- During the first penalty corner of the game, Hofstra served the ball to the top of the circle for Cami Larrson to drill into the back of the net for the first goal of the game.
- Bryant evened the score during its first penalty corner. Clare Luttrell (Freehold, N.J.) served the ball into the circle to Freya Ward (Sussex, England). Ward set the ball up for Oldekamp who popped the ball over the goalkeeper for the first Bryant goal of the season, 1-1.
- Hofstra took the lead when Cami Larrson fired a shot from just inside the circle, 2-1.
- Bazen evened the score again when she found the ball loose in front of the net, 2-2.
- After two overtimes, Hofstra beat out the Bulldogs during a shootout, 3-2.
BULLDOGS NOTES AND NOTABLES
- Oldekamp scored the first goal of the season for the Bulldogs and her first career goal.
- Bazen also notched her first goal of the season, marking her first collegiate goal.
- Ward and Luttrell each picked up an assist for their efforts, their firsts of the season.
- Bryant achieved a .333% shooting percentage, their best since Oct. 7 of last season at Monmouth.
- The Bulldogs got 6 shots on net compared to Hofstra's 5.
Bryant hosts No. 20 Albany on Sunday, Sept. 22 at Brown University's Goldberger Family Field. The game is set to start at 3 p.m.