PROVIDENCE, R.I. – After a strong defensive effort, the Bryant University field hockey team fell to No. 20 Albany, 1-0, on Sunday afternoon.
Albany 1, Bryant 0
Records: Bryant 0-7, Albany 5-3
Location: Goldberger Family Field (Providence, R.I.)
COACH DE VRIES COMMENTS
"It was a great defensive effort," said head coach Joppe de Vries. "We worked and communicated the whole time and big shout out to our entire defensive unit. We struggled with getting results out of our opportunities, but it was a good 5v5v5-2 mentality."
- Albany found the back of the net during the 40th minute of play by finding Baylee Burghardt in the circle, who fired the ball into the back of the cage.
- 40' – The Great Danes battled for possession just outside the circle. Albany strung together passes through the Bulldog defense to find Burghardt in front of the net. Burghardt struck the ball to the upper corner of the cage for the lone goal of the game, 1-0.
BULLDOGS NOTES AND NOTABLES
- Bryant's defensive unit faced 15 corners without allowing the Great Danes a goal.
- Albany led the Bulldogs in corners, 15-1, and shots, 23-2.
- Marijn Jaarsma (Uithoorn, Netherlands) tallied eight saves.
- Sophomore Eva Bazen (The Hague, Netherlands) and junior Aisling Madden (Leeds, Yorkshire, England) notched the lone shots for the Black and Gold.
- Freshman Isa Oldekamp (Rotterdam, Netherlands) made her third defensive save of her career.
- The Bulldogs fall to 0-6 all-time against Albany.
Bryant hits the road for Holy Cross this Tuesday, Sept. 24 at 4 p.m.