WORCESTER, MASS. – The Bryant University field hockey team tied the game with 11 minutes to go but Holy Cross was able to convert in overtime to earn a 2-1 victory over the Bulldogs on Tuesday afternoon.
The Bulldogs were playing their third game in five days and went to overtime for the second time in that stretch. Freshman Taryn Rauff (Johannesburg, South Africa) scored her first collegiate goal to send the game to overtime.
Holy Cross 2, Bryant 1
Records: Bryant 0-8, Holy Cross 3-4
Location: Hart Field (Worcester, Mass.)
COACH DE VRIES COMMENTS
"We are getting closer. We have to believe in ourselves. Today was another great battle."
- Off a restart at the top of the circle, Taryn Rauff showed off her stick skills and slapped the ball into the cage for the equalizer.
- Holy Cross fought for a loose ball in double overtime and fired it past the Bryant defense to win the game.
- 36' – Holy Cross's Sinead Walsh intercepted a pass in Bryant's defensive third and carried the ball into the circle. Walsh dumped the ball off to Keely Smith who fired the ball into the cage for the first goal of the game, 1-0.
- 49' – Rauff flipped the ball up and bounced it on her stick as she carried the ball into the circle. As the ball came down, Rauff slapped the ball past the goalkeeper for the equalizing goal, 1-1.
- 71' – Minke Kooman fought off the Bulldogs for a loose ball in Bryant's defensive circle and fired it into the back of the cage to end the game, 2-1.
BULLDOGS NOTES AND NOTABLES
- Bryant was playing its third game in five days. It is a stretch in which Bryant will five play games in 10 days.
- Tuesday was Bryant's second overtime game in three outings.
- Rauff became the third Bulldog to score her first collegiate goal this season.
- Rauff finished the game with five shots and five shots on goal.
- Marijn Jaarsma (Uithoorn, Netherlands) posted six saves in cage for Bryant.
The Bulldogs return to Providence for a pair of home games this weekend. They'll face New Hampshire on Friday and Lehigh on Sunday.