PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Bryant University field hockey team fell, 6-0, to Lafayette during non-conference play on Sunday afternoon in Providence.
Bryant posted six shots led by freshman Isa Oldekamp (Rotterdam, Netherlands) with two, while sophomore Marijn Jaarsma (Uithoorn, Netherlands) tied her season-best with nine saves in goal for the Black and Gold.
Lafayette 6, Bryant 0
Records: Bryant (1-11, 0-1), Lafayette (7-5, 3-0)
Location: Goldberger Family Field (Providence, R.I.)
- Lafayette grabbed a quick goal off a deflection during a penalty corner to take an early lead. The lead pushed the momentum to the Leopards as they kept Bryant off the board.
- 4' – During Lafayette's third penalty corner of the game, Audrey Sawers smacked the ball from the top of the circle as the Bulldog defense was quick to deflect it. Anna Steps found the deflection and tapped it in to give the Leopards the lead that they would not surrender, 1-0.
- 14' – With under two minutes to go in the first quarter, Lafayette's Lisa van der Geest fired a shot at Jaarsma in the cage who made the save. van der Geest followed her shot and one-timed the ball back at the cage, 2-0.
- 16' & 17' – Just a minute into the second quarter, the Leopards picked up identical back-to-back goals. In consecutive penalty corners, Felicitas Hannes redirected shots from van der Geest to widen Lafayette's margin, 4-0.
- 23' – The Leopards continued to find success in the second quarter when Eva Kaplan crossed the ball across the circle to Molly McAndrew who tapped it over the line, 5-0.
- 24' – McAndrew scored her second consecutive goal just one minute later off another deflection from the Bryant defense for the final goal of the game, 6-0.
BULLDOGS NOTES AND NOTABLES
- Oldekamp led the Bulldogs with two shots and one on frame.
- Four Bulldogs posted one shot each including Clare Luttrell (Freehold, N.J.), Ally Burdick (Cambridge, N.Y.), Taryn Rauff (Johannesburg, South Africa), and Sydney Swain (Dartmouth, Mass.). Swain put her lone shot on target.
- Swain's lone shot occurred during Bryant's first penalty stroke of the season during the final seconds of the game.
- Jaarsma tied her season-best with nine saves in the cage.
- Lafayette outshot Bryant, 25-6, and also attempted 12 corners compared to Bryant's one.
- The Bulldogs fall, 0-1, against the Leopards all-time.
The Black and Gold resume conference play when they host Fairfield on Friday, Oct. 11 at 3 p.m. at Lennon Family Field on the campus of Providence College.