PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Bryant University field hockey team picked up its first conference win over Wagner, 4-0, on Sunday afternoon.
Taryn Rauff (Johannesburg, South Africa), Kylie Nelson (Belfast, Maine), Ally Burdick (Cambridge, N.Y.), and Meghan Robinson (Haddon Heights, N.J.) each netted goals in Bryant's victory. Robinson's goal marked the first of her career while Nelson and Burdick each tallied their first goals of the 2019 season.
Bryant 4, Wagner 0
Records: Bryant (2-12, 1-2), Wagner (1-8, 0-3)
Location: Goldberger Family Field (Providence, R.I.)
COACH DE VRIES COMMENTS
"We played a solid first quarter where we were focused and disciplined. I am very happy with the result!"
- The quick goal from Rauff during the first four minutes of the game gave Bryant the momentum to hold the lead for the entirety of the match.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- 4' – During the first penalty corner of the game, Eva Bazen (The Hague, Netherlands) fired the ball at the cage. Rauff was able to get her stick on the ball as she redirected it into the goal, 1-0.
- 6' – Nelson dribbled the ball past the Wagner defense and into the circle. Right before Nelson hit the end line, she struck the ball past the Seahawk goalkeeper to widen Bryant's lead, 2-0.
- 23' – Senior Clare Luttrell (Freehold, N.J.) threaded the ball through Wagner's defense and into the circle to Burdick. The junior forward blasted the ball to the far post, 3-0.
- 51' – In the fourth quarter, Freya Ward (Sussex, England) carried the ball to just outside the arc. Ward dumped the ball off to Robinson who popped the ball over the keeper for the final goal of the game, 4-0.
BULLDOGS NOTES AND NOTABLES
- Burdick and Nelson netted their first goals of the season while Robinson notched her first career goal. Rauff tallied her fourth as she continued to lead the Black and Gold in goals this season.
- Bazen, Ward, and Luttrell each tallied one assist.
- Aisling Madden (Leeds, Yorkshire, England), Robinson, Bazen, and Burdick each led the team with three shots. Madison Demand (Waretown, N.J.) and Luttrell each fired two, while Ward, Rauff, and Nelson notched one. Robinson and Burdick led the squad with three shots on target.
- Marijn Jaarsma (Uithoorn, Netherlands) made three saves in the cage and tallied her first shutout of the season. The last time Jaarsma picked up a shutout victory was last season when Bryant topped LIU Brooklyn, 2-0.
- Junior Lyndsay Swanston (Burlington, Ont.) tallied just under seven minutes in the cage for the Bulldogs as she made her first appearance since Sept. 15 at Drexel.
- Today marks the most goals that the Bulldogs have scored in a game this season. The last time Bryant scored four or more goals in a single game was when the Bulldogs topped LIU Brooklyn, 6-0, in 2016.
- Bryant outshot Wagner, 19-12.
- Each team attempted four penalty corners.
- The Bulldogs are now 1-0 all-time against the Seahawks.
Bryant is set to endure a three-game road stretch starting with Sacred Heart on Friday, Oct. 18 at 7 p.m.