KENT, Wash. – The Bryant University men's basketball team was defeated by Seattle, 82-59, Sunday night at the accesso ShoWare Center, in the Bulldogs' second game of the 2018-19 season.
Seattle 82, Bryant 59
Records: Bryant (0-2), Seattle (2-1)
Location: accesso ShoWare Center (Kent, Wash.)
COACH GRASSO'S COMMENTS
"Credit to Seattle for doing an excellent job on the defensive end. We played two guarantee games to start the season to see where we're at against high-level competition and to see where we need to improve. Our guys look forward to getting back in the gym and playing our home opener at the Chace Athletic Center Wednesday night."
- Bryant cut the Seattle lead to nine going into the locker room, but the Redhawks came out of the half on a 12-0 run over a span of 3:40 to pull ahead 45-24.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The teams were tied 4-4 at the first media timeout, but Seattle held Bryant off the board for a span of 3:32 to go ahead 10-4 with 13:27 to go in the half.
- The Seattle lead fluctuated from five to nine until a 6-0 Redhawk run pushed the margin to 33-22 with 2:13 remaining in the opening stanza.
- A jumper from Grant cut the deficit to nine as the Bulldogs went into the locker room trailing 33-24. Seattle made one of its final eight field goal attempts in the first half.
- Seattle tallied the first nine points of the second half, prompting a Bryant timeout trailing 42-24 with 17:06 to play.
- Bryant got to the line 21 times in the final 14:52, making 16 free throws, including four from junior SaBastian Townes (Chesapeake, Va.).
- Hawkins tallied 19 points with the help of a 7-of-10 showing at the free throw line and two three-pointers.
- Grant recorded 12 points with a pair of three-pointers.
- All nine of Kasperzyk's points came in the second half.
- Freshman Patrick Harding (Fairfield, Conn.) recorded six rebounds.
- Seattle shot 46.2 percent for the game, while Bryant was at 33.3 percent.
- The Redhawks outrebounded the Bulldogs, 41-28.
- Grant posted his 43rd game of 10 or more points in his career.
- Hawkins was in double figures for the second time in as many games as a Bulldog and is averaging 17.5 through his first two contests.
- Freshman Kyle Cardaci (Holmdel, N.J.) recorded his first collegiate points on a pair of free throws with 9:19 to go in the second half.
- Bryant drops to 0-1 all-time against Seattle and 0-1 against the WAC.
Bryant plays the first of 14 regular season home games when Saint Peter's visits the Chace Athletic Center Wednesday at 7 p.m. Tickets for Wednesday's home opener are available by clicking HERE.
Season and single-game tickets for home games at the Chace Athletic Center are available by clicking HERE or calling (401) 319-TIXX.