FAIRFIELD, Conn. – The Bryant University men's basketball team was defeated on the road by Sacred Heart, 98-70, at the Pitt Center Saturday.
Freshman Joe Kasperzyk (New Haven, Conn.) matched his career-high with a team-leading 21 points, while freshman Nino Hernandez (Gardner, Mass.) added a career-best 14. Freshman Patrick Harding (Fairfield, Conn.) collected a career-high 12 rebounds playing in his hometown.
Sacred Heart 98, Bryant 70
Records: Bryant (5-10, 2-2), Sacred Heart (7-10, 3-1)
Location: Pitt Center (Fairfield, Conn.)
COACH GRASSO'S COMMENTS
"They're a tough matchup for us, especially with a one-day prep. Their guys played really well and we couldn't guard them today. I put a lot of it on us. I don't know how prepared we were; it looked like we were running in mud to start the game. You could use the excuse of the long trip, but I don't buy into that."
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Bryant trailed 9-7 at the first media timeout with four points from redshirt-senior Byron Hawkins (Fort Washington, Md.) and three from junior Adam Grant (Franklin, Va.).
- Sacred Heart used an 8-0 run to pull ahead 17-7 with 12:16 remaining in the first half.
- The Pioneers led 51-27 at the half on 58.6 percent shooting and 14-of-14 from the line.
- A 7-1 SHU run to begin the second half pushed the lead to 58-28, prompting a Bryant timeout with 17:34 remaining.
- Bryant used a 12-0 run to cut into the SHU advantage, as the Bulldogs were back within 81-57 after a three-point play by senior Taylor McHugh (Centreville, Va.).
- The Bulldogs outscored the Pioneers 27-17 over the final 9:57 of the contest.
- Kasperzyk matched Thursday's career-high 21 points, shooting 7-of-14 from the floor and 7-of-10 from the line.
- Hernandez scored 14 points in 14 minutes of second-half action, going 5-for-6 from the field.
- Harding grabbed 12 rebounds in 20 minutes of play.
- Bryant shot 41.7 percent from the floor, while Sacred Heart was at 52.6 percent.
- The Bulldogs were outrebounded, 39-30.
- Kasperzyk is averaging 16.4 points per game in seven contests off the bench this season.
- Hernandez was in double figures in scoring for the first time in his collegiate career. The freshman's previous career-high in points was four against Yale Nov. 28.
- Harding's 12 rebounds were the most by a Bulldog since Brandon Carroll (Bronx, N.Y.) collected 12 at Wagner Feb. 8, 2018.
- Bryant drops to 6-16 against Sacred Heart in the Division I era and 14-24 all-time.
Bryant returns home for its next four games, beginning with a contest next Saturday at 4 p.m. against Robert Morris. Tickets are available by clicking HERE.
Season and single-game tickets for home games at the Chace Athletic Center are available by clicking HERE or calling (401) 319-TIXX.