NEW BRITAIN, Conn. – Redshirt-senior Byron Hawkins (Fort Washington, Md.) led the offense with 17 points, but Central Connecticut closed the game on a 21-3 run to get by the Bryant University men's basketball team, 64-59, Saturday at Detrick Gymnasium.
Central Connecticut 64, Bryant 59
Records: Bryant (8-13, 5-5 NEC), Central Connecticut (10-13, 4-6 NEC)
Location: Detrick Gymnasium (New Britain, Conn.)
- A 14-1 Bryant run to close the first half turned a six-point deficit into a 33-26 advantage at the break.
- CCSU closed the game on a 21-3 run over the final 8:19 for the five-point victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Grant scored four points and junior SaBastian Townes (Chesapeake, Va.) added two to open the game up 6-2 after the first 3:31.
- Central Connecticut responded with the next seven points to go ahead 9-6 with 13:34 to play in the half.
- The Blue Devils pushed their advantage to 25-19 with 3:30 left in the half.
- Bryant closed the first half on a 14-1 run, with two three-pointers each from Grant and Hawkins, to head to the locker room up 33-26.
- The Bulldogs kept the momentum into the second half, eventually extending the run to 22-3 on a Cardenas three-pointer with 13:51 remaining to give Bryant a 41-28 lead.
- CCSU cut the Bryant lead to six at 45-39, but four straight free throws from Hawkins pushed the advantage back to 10 with 10:28 to go.
- The Blue Devils used a 10-0 run to pull back within one at 57-56, prompting a Bulldog timeout with 1:27 to play.
- CCSU took the lead with one minute on the clock and sealed the game at the free throw line for the five-point margin.
- Hawkins scored 17 points with five three-pointers.
- Grant was 5-for-13 from the floor and 3-for-7 from three to go along with a season-high five rebounds.
- Cardenas matched his career-highs with 12 points and eight rebounds while tallying a career-high five steals.
- Townes added nine points and nine rebounds.
- Bryant shot 31.8 percent for the game while CCSU shot 35.7 percent.
- The Blue Devils outrebounded the Bulldogs, 49-36, and held a 33-12 margin on the boards in the second half.
- Grant moved to within 22 points of Frankie Dobbs for third in Bryant's Division I era in scoring.
- Saturday marked the first time this season the Bulldogs lost when holding an opponent under 70 points.
- Bryant drops to 11-10 against CCSU in the Division I era and 17-17 overall.
Bryant is back in action Thursday at Robert Morris. The 7 p.m. tip in Moon Township can be seen on NEC Front Row.
Tickets for home games at the Chace Athletic Center are available by clicking HERE or calling (401) 319-TIXX.