SIMSBURY, CONN. – Five of the six golfers on the Bryant University men's golf team were within two shots of par on Sunday, helping the Bulldogs to a second-place finish at the Ryan T. Lee Memorial Collegiate tournament, hosted by LIU Brooklyn.
Sophomore Nick Piersall (Portland, Conn.) and freshman Tyler Hahn (Avon, Conn.) led the Bulldogs in the final round, as each shot a 1-over 73. Senior Ryan Brown (Bedford, N.H.) and juniors Matthew Stafford (Suffield, Conn.) and Andrew Warfield (Southborough, Mass.) each shot 2-over 74 to round out the top five for the Bulldogs. Junior Connor Henderson (Southborough, Mass.) recorded a Top 10 finish in his first event of the season, coming in tied for ninth with a 36-hole total of 148 after today's 5-over 77.
Course: Hop Meadow Country Club (Simsbury, Conn.)
Par 72 (6.915 yards).
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Piersall had a good start to the day, opening with a birdie on the Par 4 first. His birdie on eight got him back to even on the day and he took advantage of the Par 5 17th to finish at 73.
- Hahn's effort gave the Bulldogs momentum as the only morning tee time. Heading into the final two holes at three over, the freshman took advantage of the back-to-back Par 5's to end the round, birding both to get to 1-over on his round.
- Brown went through a roller coaster en route to his 74. After starting with birdies on two of the first three holes, he ended the front bogey, double bogey, birdie, bogey to go out in 37. He was able to get back to 37 in the final nine holes by birding the 17th hole, finishing with a 2-over 74.
- Warfield also started strong, playing his first four holes 1-under with a birdie on the second. His birdie on the Par 4 15th got him back to 2-over and he played even the rest of the way in.
- Stafford finished strong to ensure the Bulldogs' second-place finish, going birdie-birdie on 17 and 18 to finish even on the back nine and 2-over on the day.
- Henderson finished the day with three birdies, with two of them coming on Par 5's and the other on the Par 4 10th.
1. Sacred Heart 585 (290-295)
t2. Bryant 594 (299-295)
t2. Saint Peter's 594 (301-293)
4. RPI 595 (301-294)
5. Yale 602 (299-303)
6. Holy Cross 604 (307-297)
7. Fairfield 605 (298-307)
8. Monmouth 609 (301-308)
9. Wagner 623 (309-314)
10. St. Francis 624 (317-307)
11. Penn 627 (308-319)
12. Fordham 628 (315-313)
13. LIU Brooklyn 640 (308-332)
t9. Connor Henderson 148 (71-77)
t16. Ryan Brown 149 (75-74)
t22. Andrew Warfield 150 (76-74)
t22. Nick Piersall 150 (77-73)
t26. Matthew Stafford 151 (77-74)
t26. Tyler Hahn 151 (78-73)
The Bulldogs will head back to Connecticut a week from Monday to participate in the Hartford Hawks Invitational, hosted by the University of Hartford. It will be held at Bull's Bridge Golf Club in South Kent, Conn.