DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – Sophomore Nick Piersall (Portland, Conn.) shot a 3-over 75 on the afternoon to help lead the Bryant University men's golf team to a seventh-place finish Tuesday at the season-opening Lonnie Barton Invitational.
Piersall finished 15th in his first spring tournament as a Bulldog. Freshman Tyler Hahn (Avon, Conn.) recorded a 76 in Tuesday's second round to place 24th for the event.
Course: LPGA International – Hills Course (Daytona Beach, Fla.)
Par 72 (6,816 yards)
COACH BLANCHARD'S COMMENTS
"We battled through very tough conditions today with 50-degree temperatures, wind and rain. Nick Piersall led the way shooting 3-over and Tyler Hahn shot 4-over. Ryan Brown battled back from a tough start to play even on his incoming nine. Connor Henderson's ball-striking continues to be solid. We are looking forward to Lafayette; hopefully the weather will cooperate."
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Piersall followed Monday's 76 with a 75 for the 15th-place finish.
- Hahn shot a 76 after a 78 Monday to move up to 24th in his first collegiate spring tournament.
- Senior Ryan Brown (Bedford, N.H.) and junior Connor Henderson (Southborough, Mass.) both carded 79s Tuesday.
- The Bulldogs placed second of the eight NEC teams in action, one stroke behind Fairleigh Dickinson.
- Bethune-Cookman took the team title by 20 strokes over North Alabama. Connor Schmidt of Drexel took individual medalist honors with a 3-under for the 36-hole tournament.
1. Bethune Cookman 286-298=584
2. North Alabama 302-302=604
3. Longwood 300-306=606
4. Wright State 301-312=613
5. Drexel 311-304=615
6. Fairleigh Dickinson 312-305=617
7. Bryant 309-309=618
t8. Sacred Heart 309-311=620
t8. Veteran's Golf Association 315-305=620
10. Iona 301-320=621
11. Towson 309-319=628
12. Fairfield 324-306=630
13. Purdue Fort Wayne 306-325=631
14. Holy Cross 319-314=633
15. LIU Brooklyn 318-316=634
t16. Midway 335-304=639
t16. North Carolina A&T 320-319=639
18. Mount St. Mary's 319-326=645
19. Saint Francis U 331-330=631
20. Wagner 337-335=672
21. St. Francis Brooklyn 372-363=735
t15. Nick Piersall 76-75=151
t24. Tyler Hahn 78-76=154
t43. Connor Henderson 77-79=156
t50. Ryan Brown 78-79=157
t87. Matthew Stafford 83-81=164
t97. Doug Champagne 84-83=167 ^
^ Playing as individual
Bryant is off until March 31st, when the Bulldogs play the first round of the Abarta Coca-Cola Collegiate Invitational at the Steel Club in Hellertown, Pennsylvania.