MONTCLAIR, N.J. – The Bryant University men's golf team saw four players finish in the top 25, led by an 11th-place result from sophomore Nick Piersall (Portland, Conn.), as the Bulldogs posted a third-place finish Saturday at the Columbia Spring Invitational.
Piersall carded a first-round 71 and second-round 75 in the one-day, 36-hole event to lead the Bulldogs. All five Bryant players in action Saturday recorded a round of 73 or better on the par-70 course in New Jersey.
Tournament: Columbia Spring Invitational
Course: Montclair Golf Club (Montclair, N.J.) | Par 70 (6,585 yards)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Piersall shot a 71 in the opening round, which had the sophomore ninth in the field of 63 through 18 holes. He followed with a 75 in the final 18 holes.
- Juniors Connor Henderson (Southborough, Mass.) and Matthew Stafford (Suffield, Conn.) were in a group of five tied for 19th at 8-over for the tournament. Henderson shot a first-round 73 and second-round 75, while Stafford recorded a 76 and 72.
- Freshman Tyler Hahn (Avon, Conn.) was tied for 24th at 9-over, while senior Ryan Brown (Bedford, N.H.) rounded out Bryant's competitors with a 40th-place result.
- Saint Joseph's won the team title at 10-over, 18 strokes ahead of the Bulldogs and 12 better than Saint Peter's. Saint Joseph's Ross Pilliod was 4-under for the tournament to take individual medalist honors.
1. Saint Joseph's 285-285-570
2. Saint Peter's 288-294-582
3. Bryant 293-295-588
4. Columbia 291-298-589
5. Colgate 298-298-596
t6. Fairleigh Dickinson 300-298-598
t6. Rider 298-300-598
8. Monmouth 296-306-602
9. Holy Cross 303-300-603
10. Lafayette 306-303-609
11. St. Francis Brooklyn 305-308-613
Bryant is back in action Monday and Tuesday at the Rhode Island Invitational. The 36-hole event will be played at Quidnessett Country Club in North Kingstown.