DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – Junior Matthew Stafford (Suffield, Conn.) shot a 2-over 74 to lead the Bryant University golf team at the first day of the Northeast Conference Championship, helping the Bulldogs to a third-place standing through the first of three days at LPGA International.
Bryant is eight strokes back of first-place Robert Morris and six behind Sacred Heart for second place with 36 holes remaining Saturday and Sunday.
Tournament: Northeast Conference Championship
Course: LPGA International – Hills Course (Daytona Beach, Fla.) | Par 72 (6,594 yards)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Stafford birdied twice on the front nine and was even through 11.
- Junior Ryan Brown (Bedford, N.H.) carded a 77 to stand tied for 16th.
- Freshman Tyler Hahn (Avon, Conn.) was even through 11 and finished the day 19th with a 78.
- Junior Connor Henderson (Southborough, Mass.) is tied for 20th in the field with a 79.
- Sophomore Nick Piersall (Portland, Conn.) rounded out Bryant's day with an 81.
- Four of the five Bulldogs – Brown, Henderson, Piersall and Stafford – are playing in the NEC Championship for at least the second time. Piersall was a member of Central Connecticut's title-winning team in 2018.
1. Robert Morris 300
2. Sacred Heart 302
3. Bryant 308
t4. Saint Francis U 314
t4. Wagner 314
6. Mount St. Mary's 315
7. Fairleigh Dickinson 316
8. LIU Brooklyn 317
9. St. Francis Brooklyn 324
The second round of the Northeast Conference Championship will be played Saturday at LPGA International. Piersall will be the first Bulldog to tee off at 8:30 a.m.