SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Sophomore Marc O'Rourke (Hingham, Mass.) scored three goals and two assists and freshman Logan McGovern (Darien, Conn.) added four points as the Bryant University men's lacrosse team recorded an 11-8 victory over Providence in Saturday's home opener at Beirne Stadium.
Bryant 11, Providence 8
Records: Bryant (1-1), Providence (1-2)
Location: Beirne Stadium (Smithfield, R.I.)
COACH PRESSLER'S COMMENTS
"What a turnaround a week made. To play that well and that hard in a game we had to have tells me a lot about our group. I told them in the locker room that the game will be decided in the third quarter and it proved to be the difference in the game. For the second week in a row Luke Caracciolo was great in goal. It was a great team win, a well-balanced team win.
It's a day that Bryant Lacrosse will never forget. A great day for Bryant University. A great day for Bryant Lacrosse in a must-win situation in our debut in Beirne Stadium."
- The Bulldogs opened up a 3-0 lead in the first quarter on goals from McGovern and sophomores Austin Kent (Franklin, Mass.) and Emmet Kemble (Clifton, Va.).
- Bryant outscored Providence 3-0 in the third quarter to turn a 6-5 halftime advantage into a 9-5 cushion heading into the final frame.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Bryant opened a 3-0 lead to begin the game on goals from McGovern, Kent and Kemble.
- The Friars and Bulldogs traded tallies back and forth, with two from junior Trevor Weingarten (Allendale, N.J.) and one from O'Rourke giving Bryant a 6-3 advantage with 9:25 to play before the half.
- Providence would cut the Bryant lead to one at the half at 6-5.
- O'Rourke scored the first goal of the second half to put Bryant ahead 7-5 with 13:08 remaining in the third quarter.
- McGovern and O'Rourke added third-quarter goals to give the Bulldogs a 9-5 lead through 45 minutes.
- After a Friar goal to open the fourth quarter, sophomore Pat Brosnan (South San Francisco, Calif.) tallied his first career goal to put Bryant ahead 10-6 with 8:32 to go in the contest.
- Weingarten added his third of the day with 5:06 to play to give the Black & Gold an 11-7 advantage before the Friars scored in the final minute for the 11-8 final margin.
- O'Rourke collected three goals and two assists for a team-high five points.
- Weingarten tallied three goals on four shot attempts.
- McGovern scored the first two goals of his collegiate career while adding two assists and two ground balls.
- Kemble added one goal, three ground balls and two caused turnovers.
- Caracciolo recorded 15 saves and six ground balls.
- Redshirt-junior Jack Horan (San Rafael, Calif.) and sophomore Ryan Baker (Draper, Utah) each collected two caused turnovers.
- Redshirt-freshman Jack Aigner (Brighton, Mich.) recorded a career-high 15 face-off wins, going 15-for-23 at the X.
- Bryant was 2-for-5 on the man-up with both goals coming from McGovern.
- Providence outshot Bryant, 37-30.
- The Bulldogs held a 32-26 margin in ground balls.
- O'Rourke scored three or more goals for the eighth time in his first 17 collegiate contests.
- Bryant improves to 7-3 all-time against Providence.
Bryant stays in Smithfield to host Dartmouth Saturday, Feb. 23 at Beirne Stadium. Tickets for the 11 a.m. start are available by clicking HERE, while the game can be seen on NEC Front Row.
Season tickets for the 2019 campaign at Beirne Stadium are available by clicking HERE.