SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Senior Kevin Beimfohr (Mountain Lakes, N.J.) turned away the game-tying goal as time expired, preserving a 6-5 victory for the Bryant University men's lacrosse team over Dartmouth Saturday at Beirne Stadium.
Beimfohr tallied 14 saves in his first appearance of the season. Sophomore Marc O'Rourke (Hingham, Mass.) recorded a four-point afternoon, notching one goal and assisting on three others. Bryant received six goals from six different scorers.
Bryant 6, Dartmouth 5
Records: Bryant (2-1), Dartmouth (0-2)
Location: Beirne Stadium (Smithfield, R.I.)
COACH PRESSLER'S COMMENTS
'I knew this was going to be this kind of game … To eke out a one-goal win at home against a pretty good team – a very good team – and have your No. 2 goalie play spectacular is a very good thing for us."
- Dartmouth tied the game 4-4 with 8:35 to play in the third quarter, but Bryant responded with goals from junior Trevor Weingarten (Allendale, N.J.) and redshirt-sophomore Andre Gomez (Melville, N.Y.) to give the Bulldogs a lead they would not relinquish.
- Dartmouth went on the man-up with 9.1 seconds to play. The Big Green got a look at the goal in the final second, but Beimfohr stopped the shot attempt as the horn sounded.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The teams would trade the first four tallies of the contest, with goals from freshman Logan McGovern (Darien, Conn.) and sophomore Austin Kent (Franklin, Mass.) answered by Big Green goals to have the teams even 2-2 through one quarter.
- A goal from junior Zach Coffey (West Newbury, Mass.) put Bryant up 3-2 going into the half and O'Rourke scored 90 seconds into the third quarter to give the Bulldogs a 4-2 advantage.
- Dartmouth responded with a pair of goals to even the game before Weingarten put Bryant back on top with 7:41 to play in the third quarter.
- Gomez notched his first career goal with 11:40 remaining in the contest before Dartmouth answered back off the ensuing face-off to cut the Bryant lead to 6-5.
- The Big Green earned a man-up opportunity with 9.1 seconds remaining to the left of Beimfohr. Dartmouth got a shot off with under one second to play, but Beimfohr made the stop as the buzzer sounded to seal the win.
- Beimfohr recorded 14 saves, one shy of his career-high.
- O'Rourke led the offense with four points, matching his career-high with three assists and adding five ground balls.
- Junior Jake Fiske (Poway, Calif.) collected four ground balls and four caused turnovers, equaling career-highs in both categories.
- McGovern added a career-high five ground balls.
- Redshirt-freshman Jack Aigner (Brighton, Mich.) was 8-for-15 at the face-off X and collected five ground balls.
- Bryant outshot Dartmouth, 38-31.
- The Bulldogs collected 32 ground balls, while the Big Green recorded 27.
- Bryant improves to 3-0 all-time against Dartmouth.
- With the win, the Bulldogs recorded a victory over an Ivy League opponent for the fourth-straight season.
Bryant will play its first midweek game of 2019 when the Bulldogs travel to Boston Tuesday night to face Boston University. The 7 p.m. start can be seen on Patriot League Network.
Tickets for the 2019 campaign at Beirne Stadium are available by clicking HERE.