BOSTON – Sophomores Marc O'Rourke (Hingham, Mass.) and Austin Kent (Franklin, Mass.) and freshman Mason Balch (Westfield, Mass.) scored two goals each, but the Bryant University men's lacrosse team was defeated by Boston University, 14-9, Tuesday evening at Nickerson Field.
O'Rourke added one assist, five ground balls and one caused turnover, while Balch chipped in an assist, four ground balls and a caused turnover in Bryant's first midweek matchup of 2019.
Boston University 14, Bryant 9
Records: Bryant (2-2), Boston University (4-1)
Location: Nickerson Field (Boston, Mass.)
COACH PRESSLER'S COMMENTS
"Our decision-making and our stickwork in the clearing game were our downfall today. You can't throw it to the other team on the clear, turn it over repeatedly, and expect to win. And we turned it over on offense. It was very similar to the Bucknell game; our top six offensive players had a bunch of turnovers. Those two things, combined with the fact we couldn't win a face-off when the game was being decided, were the difference. BU had a lot to do with it, so I do give them credit. They were better than us tonight. We didn't play hard enough, smart enough or tough enough to win this game on the road."
- The Terriers trailed 2-1 before scoring five straight goals in the first half to take a 6-2 lead with 11:17 to play in the second quarter. BU would lead by at least three goals the rest of the way.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The teams would trade the first four tallies of the contest, with goals from senior Kevin Quigley (Fairfax Station, Va.) and Balch being answered by the Terriers for a 2-2 score six minutes into the contest.
- The Terriers would score once more in the first quarter and add three more to open the second before Balch's second of the day brought the Bulldogs within 6-3 with 7:58 to play in the second quarter.
- Goals from O'Rourke and junior Trevor Weingarten (Allendale, N.J.) in the closing minutes of the half sent the Bulldogs into the locker room down 8-5.
- A Terrier goal to open the second half was answered by one from sophomore Pat Brosnan (South San Francisco, Calif.), but the Terriers responded with the next three to take a 12-6 advantage.
- Kent scored in the final minute of the third quarter to cut the deficit to 12-7 through three quarters.
- BU scored the first two goals of the fourth quarter before O'Rourke and Kent scored in the final three minutes for the final 14-9 margin.
- O'Rourke and Balch led Bryant with three points each while combining for nine of Bryant's 30 ground balls.
- Redshirt-junior Jack Horan (San Rafael, Calif.) collected five ground balls and three caused turnovers.
- Junior Jake Fiske (Poway, Calif.) recorded three ground balls and two caused turnovers.
- Freshman Luke Caracciolo (Centrerville, Va.) turned aside 10 Terrier shots in the contest.
- BU outshot Bryant, 40-29.
- The Terriers collected 43 ground balls to the Bulldogs' 30.
- Kent made his first start of the season. The sophomore from Massachusetts started the first five games of 2018.
- Bryant drops to 0-3 all-time against Boston University.
- The Bulldogs fall to 6-18 all-time vs. Patriot League competition.
Bryant returns home to host Manhattan Saturday at noon at Beirne Stadium. Tickets are available by clicking HERE. The game can be seen on NEC Front Row.
Tickets for the 2019 campaign at Beirne Stadium are available by clicking HERE.