SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Sophomore Marc O'Rourke (Hingham, Mass.) recorded two goals and two assists and freshman Luke Caracciolo (Centreville, Va.) posted 15 saves, but Manhattan scored the final three goals of the contest to defeat the Bryant University men's lacrosse team, 9-8, Saturday at the Conaty Indoor Athletic Center.
Manhattan 9, Bryant 8
Records: Bryant (2-3), Manhattan (3-2)
Location: Conaty Indoor Athletic Center (Smithfield, R.I.)
COACH PRESSLER'S COMMENTS
"A big part of the game was when Jake Fiske went down. He was our best player on the field. We didn't recover from that. I give Manhattan all the credit in the world; they outplayed us in every facet of the game. Credit to Drew Kelleher and his staff. They out-fought us today. We have to right the ship moving forward. "
- Bryant turned a 6-5 deficit into an 8-6 lead with 13:34 to go in the game, but Manhattan responded to tie the game four minutes later and score the game-winning goal with just over five minutes to play.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Junior Trevor Weingarten (Allendale, N.J.) scored 44 seconds into the contest and freshman Mason Balch (Westfield, Mass.) added a goal 1:49 later to put Bryant ahead 2-0 with 12:27 to play in the opening quarter.
- After a Manhattan goal, sophomore Austin Kent (Franklin, Mass.) scored to give Bryant a 3-1 lead at the end of the first quarter.
- The Bulldogs moved ahead 5-1 on goals from O'Rourke and Pat Brosnan (South San Francisco, Calif.) before the Jaspers responded with two goals 36 seconds apart to go into the half trailing Bryant 5-3.
- Manhattan scored first in the second half to pull within one and tied the game 5-5 on the man-up with 9:02 remaining in the third quarter.
- The Jaspers took their first lead of the day with 7:44 to play in the third, going up 6-5.
- O'Rourke responded, tying the game at six with 4:41 remaining in the quarter.
- Goals from Weingarten and Brosnan gave the Bulldogs an 8-6 lead, but Manhattan responded to tie the contest again at 8-8 with 9:02 to play.
- Sean MacKinney scored the game-winning goal for Manhattan with 5:05 to go.
- O'Rourke tallied two goals, two assists and two ground balls.
- Brosnan and Weingarten added two goals each.
- Balch recorded a goal and an assist.
- Junior Jake Fiske (Poway, Calif.) recorded a career-high six ground balls.
- Redshirt-junior Jack Horan (San Rafael, Calif.) collected four ground balls and two caused turnovers.
- Bryant was 12-of-21 on face-offs, with 11 off the wins coming from redshirt-freshman Jack Aigner (Brighton, Mich.).
- Manhattan outshot Bryant, 32-30.
- The Bulldogs held a 34-30 advantage in ground balls.
- Caracciolo has recorded 15 or more saves in three of his four games this season.
- The Bulldogs fall to 1-2 in games played in the Conaty Indoor Athletic Center.
- Bryant drops to 3-1 all-time against Manhattan.
Bryant travels to Long Island for a matchup against Stony Brook next Saturday. The noon contest can be seen on AmericaEast.tv.
Tickets for the 2019 campaign at Beirne Stadium are available by clicking HERE.