EMMITSBURG, Md. – Sophomore Marc O'Rourke (Hingham, Mass.) scored three goals and freshman Mason Balch (Westfield, Mass.) added two, but Mount St. Mary's scored the final three goals of the contest to defeat the Bryant University men's lacrosse team, 10-7, Saturday afternoon at Waldron Family Stadium.
Mount St. Mary's 10, Bryant 7
Records: Bryant (2-6, 0-1), Mount St. Mary's (4-5, 1-0)
Location: Waldron Family Stadium (Emmitsburg, Md.)
COACH PRESSLER'S COMMENTS
"Once again, we're right there at 7-7 in the fourth, and we make a couple mental blunders and the game gets away from us. Mount made a couple plays and that was the game. I'm disappointed. We lost a game at the offensive end. Congratulations to Mount. They're 1-0 in the NEC and we're not. We've got to regroup and get ready for Saint Joe's at home Saturday."
- Mount St. Mary's scored the final three goals of the contest to turn a 7-7 deadlock into the 10-7 final margin.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Mountaineers took a 2-0 lead through one quarter.
- O'Rourke got Bryant on the board with 10:25 remaining in the second quarter.
- After a Mountaineer goal, O'Rourke scored with six minutes to go in the half to bring the Bulldogs within 3-2.
- Mount would score the next two goals off face-offs before Balch sent the game into the half at a 5-3 margin.
- O'Rourke tallied the first goal of the second half before another Mountaineer goal off a face-off put Mount ahead 6-4 with 12:22 to play in the third quarter.
- Goals from junior Zach Coffey (West Newbury, Mass.) and Balch tied the game at six with 12:24 remaining in the contest.
- A man-up goal put the Mountaineers ahead 7-6 and the Bulldogs responded with their own on the extra-man from senior Kevin Quigley (Fairfax Station, Va.), evening the game at seven with 6:31 to play.
- The Mountaineers retook the lead with 5:45 to play and doubled the advantage with 3:27 remaining. Mount added a goal on an empty net with 52 seconds to go for the final margin.
- O'Rourke scored three goals and Balch added two.
- Redshirt-freshman Dante Pasqualoni (South Windsor, Conn.) collected four ground balls and two caused turnovers.
- Junior James Stoler (Penfield, N.Y.) went 14-for-21 at the face-off X with seven ground balls.
- Freshman Luke Caracciolo (Centreville, Va.) made six saves.
- Bryant outshot Mount, 35-33. Both teams put 16 of their shots on the cage.
- The Bulldogs held a 29-23 advantage in ground balls.
- Bryant was 2-for-3 on the man-up, while Mount was 1-for-4.
- Bryant drops to 8-4 all-time against Mount St. Mary's and 3-4 in Emmitsburg.
- O'Rourke has scored nine goals in his two career contests against the Mountaineers.
Bryant returns home to host Saint Joseph's Saturday, March 23, at noon. Tickets are available HERE and the game can be seen on NEC Front Row.
Tickets for the 2019 campaign at Beirne Stadium are available by clicking HERE.