STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. – The Bryant University men's lacrosse team outscored Wagner 11-0 over the final 43 minutes of the game to earn a 13-4 victory Saturday at Hameline Field.
Sophomore Marc O'Rourke (Hingham, Mass.) scored three goals and assisted on two more to lead the Bryant attack, while junior Trevor Weingarten (Allendale, N.J.) and freshman Mason Balch (Westfield, Mass.) each added two goals and an assist. Freshman Luke Caracciolo (Centreville, Va.) made 14 saves in the win.
Bryant 13, Wagner 4
Records: Bryant (3-7, 1-2 NEC), Wagner (2-8, 0-2 NEC)
Location: Hameline Field (Staten Island, N.Y.)
COACH PRESSLER'S COMMENTS
"It's a great team win for us on many levels. Being down 4-2 early in the second quarter was obviously not the start we wanted, but to go on an 11-0 run on the road in a game we had to have is something I'm really impressed with our guys about. I couldn't be more happy and proud."
- Redshirt-junior Jake Buonaiuto (Miller Place, N.Y.) scored with 8:44 left to go in the 3rd period, starting a Bulldogs scoring spree of six goals in a span of 7:33.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Seahawks scored the first goal of the game before senior Ryan Cerino (Greer, S.C.) tied it up with his first career goal. 10:35 left in the opening quarter.
- Wagner scored two more times in the first quarter, once before and once after O'Rourke put his first of three goals in the back of the net.
- The Seahawks scored their fourth and final goal with 13:53 left in the second quarter to go ahead 4-2.
- The Bulldogs scored seven in the third quarter including back-to-back goals from Balch just 40 seconds apart. Sophomore Sam Goforth (Chester Springs, Pa.) added his first career goal during the run, while O'Rourke, Buonaiuto, Weingarten and redshirt-freshman Nick Beeson (Poway, Calif.) added to the lead..
- Senior Luke Finneran (Greenwich, Conn.) scored the only goal in the fourth quarter off an assist from Weingarten.
- O'Rourke recorded his seventh-straight multi-goal game and ninth game this season of three or more points. He added three ground balls and two caused turnovers to his effort.
- Junior James Stoler (Penfield, N.Y.) went 8-for-12 at the face-off X.
- Caracciolo turned aside 14 of 18 Seahawk shots on goal.
- Sophomore Austin Larabee (South Glastonbury, Conn.) collected four ground balls and two caused turnovers.
- Bryant outshot Wagner 42-24. 28 of Bryant's attempts were on goal compared to Wagner's 18.
- Eight different Bryant players scored while four scored multiple times. O'Rourke led the team with three goals.
- Bryant improves to 11-0 all-time vs. Wagner and 5-0 at Hameline Field.
- The four goals allowed were the fewest by the Bulldogs since holding the Seahawks to three last season in Smithfield.
- Bryant has limited Wagner to 49 goals in 11 all-time meetings.
- The Bulldogs have held the Seahawks scoreless in the second half in each of the teams' last three meetings.
- Cerino and Goforth are the seventh and eighth Bulldogs to score their first career goals this season.
Bryant opens April when the Bulldogs host Sacred Heart, Saturday, April 6 at Beirne Stadium. The noon contest can be seen on NEC Front Row and tickets can be purchased HERE.
Tickets for the 2019 campaign at Beirne Stadium are available by clicking HERE.