GENEVA, N.Y. – Three players from the Bryant University men's lacrosse team recorded two-goal games, but Hobart scored the final two goals of the contest to win a back-and-forth affair, 12-11, Saturday afternoon at David J. Urick Stadium.
Redshirt-freshman Nick Beeson (Poway, Calif.) tallied his third-straight multi-goal effort, while junior Zach Coffey (West Newbury, Mass.) and sophomore Austin Kent (Franklin, Mass.) added two goals each.
Hobart 12, Bryant 11
Records: Bryant (3-9, 1-4 NEC), Hobart (9-3, 3-1 NEC)
Location: David J. Urick Stadium (Geneva, N.Y.)
COACH PRESSLER'S COMMENTS
"Today was a heartbreaker for us to many degrees. In a must-win situation, our guys played extremely hard, extremely tough and put all their emotions on the field. Once again, late in the fourth quarter when the game is being decided, a couple mental errors on our part led to a one-goal loss. It's been a remarkable year for us to be so close in so many of these games, but not to be able to pull through and finish. It's time to regroup and get ready for Robert Morris on Senior Day.:
- Trailing 11-10 with five minutes to go, Hobart scored the final two goals of the contest, tying the game at 11 with 4:54 to go and scoring the game-winner with 2:48 remaining.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Bryant scored the first three goals of the game with junior Trevor Weingarten (Allendale, N.J.), Kent and Coffey teaming up to put the Bulldogs ahead 3-0 with 5:42 to play in the first quarter.
- Hobart answered with the next three to pull even with 11 seconds remaining in the opening quarter.
- The Bulldogs scored four of the first five goals of the second quarter, beginning with a go-ahead tally from Beeson 46 seconds into the frame.
- After a Hobart goal, sophomore Marc O'Rourke (Hingham, Mass.), senior Ryan Cerino (Greer, S.C.) and Beeson ran off three straight to give Bryant a 7-4 lead with 2:24 left in the half.
- Hobart scored with two seconds remaining in the first half to head to the locker room trailing Bryant 7-5.
- Freshman Mason Balch (Westifield, Mass.) scored the lone Bryant goal of the third quarter as the Statesmen outscored the Bulldogs 3-1 to pull even 8-8 through 45 minutes.
- Hobart took its first lead of the contest 37 seconds into the fourth quarter, but Bryant scored three of the next four, as goals from senior Luke Finneran (Greenwich, Conn.), Coffey and Kent gave Bryant an 11-10 advantage with 5:50 to play.
- The Statesmen scored the final two goals from the game, taking the lead for good with 2:48 to go.
- Beeson has scored seven goals in his last three games and added an assist and two ground balls.
- O'Rourke and Weingarten each added two assists on the afternoon.
- Coffey tallied two goals, three ground balls and three caused turnovers.
- Junior Jack Callahan (Victor, N.Y.) recorded four ground balls and two caused turnovers.
- Senior Kevin Beimfohr (Mountain Lakes, N.J.) matched his career-high with 15 saves.
- Hobart outshot Bryant, 49-38.
- The Statesmen held a 25-24 advantage in ground balls.
- Bryant drops to 7-5 all-time against Hobart.
- O'Rourke scored a goal for the 16th consecutive game Saturday. Entering the weekend, only 10 players in the nation had a longer scoring streak.
- The Bulldogs drop to 1-4 this season in one-goal games.
Bryant hosts Robert Morris next Saturday for Senior Day at Beirne Stadium. The noon opening face-off can be seen on NEC Front Row and tickets are available HERE.