SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Junior Trevor Weingarten (Allendale, N.J.) recorded his second-straight three-goal game, but Brown used a 6-0 third quarter to pull away in a 17-7 defeat for the Bryant University men's lacrosse team in Tuesday's season finale.
Sophomore Marc O'Rourke (Hingham, Mass.) collected two assists to surpass the 100-point mark for his career.
Brown 17, Bryant 7
Records: Bryant (3-11), Brown (6-8)
Location: Beirne Stadium (Smithfield, R.I.)
COACH PRESSLER'S COMMENTS
"Congratulations to Brown on the Ocean State Cup. They thoroughly outplayed us tonight. We put to bed a season with some tremendous lows and not-so-often highs. I'm looking forward to the rebuilding process as we get going this summer."
- A man-up goal from sophomore Austin Kent (Franklin, Mass.) evened the game at four in the second quarter, but Brown would answer with the next five and outscore Bryant 13-3 over the remainder of the contest.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Brown scored off the first two face-offs of the game to lead 2-0 and force a Bryant timeout 20 seconds in.
- A goal from freshman Mason Balch (Westfield, Mass.) got Bryant on the board, and after two more from Brown, Weingarten scored twice and then assisted on Kent's goal to pull even at four with 3:02 to go in the opening quarter.
- Brown would score the next five before Weingarten brought Bryant within 9-5 with 4:07 remaining until halftime.
- The Bears added a goal with nine seconds left in the half for a 10-5 advantage.
- Balch scored to open the third quarter, but the Bears would run off the next seven goals before a score by senior Ryan Cerino (Greer, S.C.) rounded out the scoring with 6:16 left in the contest.
- Weingarten recorded his fourth three-goal game of his career and second in as many games.
- Balch added his fifth two-goal game of his freshman campaign.
- Junior Zach Coffey (West Newbury, Mass.) recorded five ground balls and two caused turnovers.
- Redshirt-junior Jack Horan (San Rafael, Calif.) added two caused turnovers.
- The Bulldogs were 13-of-28 on face-offs with redshirt-freshman Jack Aigner (Brighton, Mich.) earning eight of the wins.
- Brown outshot Bryant, 46-22.
- Bryant drops to 4-7 all-time against Brown.
- O'Rourke was held without a goal for the first time since April 7, 2018 vs. Wagner.