SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University men's soccer team fell in its 2018 home opener on Monday afternoon to in-state rival Rhode Island.
Rhode Island 4, Bryant 0
Records: Rhode Island 2-0-0, Bryant 0-2-0
Location: Bulldog Soccer Field | Smithfield, R.I.
Coach Purcell's Comments
"We're obviously extremely disappointed with the final result. We made too many mistakes in both halves and against a quality side like URI, you will get punished. We battled hard at times but we were very inconsistent with our work rate. As individuals, we need to be more confident on the ball and our team possession has to be better going forward."
After the Rams had taken an early lead, Stavros Zarokostas made it two on the stroke of halftime. Rhode Island was able to force a turnover and Evan Gaudreau started a break that ended with the ball in the upper right corner of the net.
- 28th minute – Rhode Island 1, Bryant 0 – Dominik Richter started the scoring, hitting the ball first time after Sondre Karterud played him in down the right post.
- 45th minute – Rhode Island 2, Bryant 0 – After stifling a Rams' attack, the Bulldogs were ready to break but an unfortunate miss-hit from the Bryant defense allowed Rhode Island to quickly pounce and double the lead.
- 79th minute – Rhode Island 3, Bryant 0 – Zarokostas added his second of the afternoon after getting into the box and firing a shot on frame. After junior goalkeeper Olivier Larente (Garches, France) made the initial save, Zarokostas was able to convert on an empty net.
- 89th minute – Rhode Island 4, Bryant 0 – Lucas Gesmundo's effort to the end line created a goal in front for Johnny Sherman, who was able to just flick it into the net and finish the Ram scoring.
Stats and Notes
- Larente finished the afternoon with four saves, three coming in the second half.
- Juniors James Cochrane (Sandy Hook, Conn.) and George Gill (Cork, Munster, Ireland), and sophomores Charles DeSantis (Saint-Mathias-Sur-Richelieu, Quebec, Canada) and Felipe Cypriano (Malden, Mass.) finished with two shots each.
- Gill and Cypriano fired a shot on frame, as did junior Zachary Valckenaere (Wappingers Falls, N.Y.) and freshman Lucas Johnstone (Holderness, N.H.).
- Johnstone and classmate Ben Williams (Unionville, Ontario) made their collegiate debuts on Monday.
Bryant's week of Ocean State opponents concludes on Friday, when they head to Providence to take on Brown at 3:30 p.m.