SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University men's soccer team surrendered two goals in the final 15 minutes and fell to Stony Brook 2-1 on Saturday night on Long Island.
Stony Brook 2, Bryant 1
Records: Stony Brook 3-3-1, Bryant 0-5-1
Location: LaValle Stadium | Stony Brook, N.Y.
Coach Purcell's Comments
"We played a tremendous first half. It was a total team effort and a well-deserved 1-0 lead. However, in the second half, we lost our rhythm and stopped communicating. We became very disorganized in the midfield and against a very good team, you cannot have that."
After the Seawolves knotted the match in the 76th minute, Serge Gamwanya won it for Stony Brook, finishing a cross from Jarred Dass to win it.
- 29th minute – Bryant 1, Stony Brook 0 – Sophomore Jared Lee (South Setauket, N.Y.) scored his first of the season off an assist from freshman Ben Williams (Unionville, Ontario) to give the Bulldogs the lead.
- 76th minute – Bryant 1, Stony Brook 1 – Gustavo Fernandes fired a shot from 25 yards that deflected off a Bulldogs defender and into the net to even the proceedings.
- 87th minute – Stony Brook 2, Bryant 1 – Gamwanya added his second game-winner against the Bulldogs in as many tries, finishing high on sophomore Jack Sanders (Garden City, N.Y.).
- Just two and a half miles from his hometown, Lee added the second goal of his career off the assist from DeSantis, who picked up his third assist and his second in as many games.
- Sanders, playing 35 miles from his hometown, made his first career appearance for the Bulldogs and made five saves.
- DeSantis and Lee combined for five of Bryant's nine shots on the night.
- Senior Brendan Robinson (Medway, Mass.) and sophomore Matthew Kane (Lincoln, R.I.) were the two Bulldogs to have played the entirety of the match in the field.
The Bulldogs begin a three-game homestand on Tuesday afternoon when they play host to Ivy League foe Yale at 4:30 p.m. at the Bulldog Soccer Field.