SMITHFIELD, R.I. – For the second time in as many games, freshman Ben Williams (Unionville, Ontario) scored the opening goal of the match and this time it stood as the Bryant University men's soccer team took down Sacred Heart on Sunday afternoon.
Bryant 1, Sacred Heart 0
Records: Bryant 3-7-3 (3-1-2 NEC), Sacred Heart 2-11-1 (1-4-0 NEC)
Location: Park Ave. Field | Fairfield, Conn.
Coach Purcell's Comments
"It was another gutsy and brilliant performance on the road. Our back four and goalie were outstanding to say the least. Hats off again to this young freshman [Ben] Williams. We brought him in to do exactly what he's doing. He's pure class."
After junior Victor Rey's (Lincoln, R.I.) shot was blocked out by Sacred Heart keeper Robert Strain, sophomore Felipe Cypriano (Malden, Mass.) sent a corner into the box where it would be finished off by freshman Williams finished it off to give Bryant all they would need.
- 74th minute – Bryant 1, Sacred Heart 0 – Cypriano bent a corner to the far post, where Williams was waiting to put the shot into the top corner and give Bryant the victory.
- Bryant is now unbeaten in its last three road matches, putting a 2-0-1 record together in conference road games.
- Williams' goal is his fourth of the season, increasing his season point total into double digits with 10.
- The assist from Cypriano is the third of his season and career.
- Bryant is now up to 11 points in the conference season, its highest output since 2014.
- Junior Olivier Larente (Garches, France) finished the day with seven saves, increasing his total to 46 on the season. He now has four clean sheets to his name this year.
- Bryant held a 4-3 advantage in corner kicks, while Sacred Heart took five more shots than the Bulldogs.
Bryant's Senior Day will be on October 28, when they play host to first-place LIU Brooklyn at 1 p.m. at the Bulldog Soccer Field. Bryant will honor its six-member senior class starting at 12:45 p.m.