RIVERSIDE, Calif. – The Bryant University men's soccer team drops the 2019 season opener to UC Riverside after an early goal in the first half.
UC Riverside 1, Bryant 0
Records: UC Riverside (1-0-0), Bryant (0-1-0)
Location: UCR Soccer Stadium | Riverside, Calif.
Coach Purcell's Comments
"We played one of the best teams I've seen in a long time. The first half we were outplayed and outworked. However, things changed for the better in the second. We played with more confidence and composure. We had several opportunities but couldn't get it done."
In the 21st minute Olivier Larente (LaSalle, Montreal) made two back-to-back saves to keep the game within reach.
- 3rd minute – UC Riverside 1, Bryant 0 – Daniel Aguirre passed the ball off to Roberto Garcia-Vargas who notched it in to give the Highlanders an early lead.
Stats and Notes
- Three different players put up shots for the Bulldogs, seniors Alex DaCosta (Bristol, R.I.), George Gill (Cork, Munster, Ireland) and Trevor Lyne (Feeding Hills, Mass).
- DaCosta lead Bryant with 2 shots.
- Larente made four saves total.
- Freshman Diego Rodriguez (Woodbridge, Conn.) and DaCosta made their first career starts and appearances for the Bulldogs.
- Freshmen Nick Awada (Westford, Mass.) and Matt Supczak (Tolland, Conn.) also made their first career appearances for the Bulldogs.
- Bryant had 20 fouls in the match, while the Highlanders had nine.
Up Next: Cal St. Fullerton
The Bulldogs play their second game on the West Coast versus Cal St. Fullerton on Sunday at 10 p.m. EST.