MOON TOWNSHIP, Pa. – Senior Alex DaCosta (Bristol, R.I.) scored two goals, including the game-winner in overtime, to lift the Bryant University men's soccer team to a 2-1 victory over Robert Morris on Friday afternoon.
The Bulldogs were trailing 1-0 after the half but DaCosta scored the equalizer in the 51st minute and then broke Colonial hearts with the golden goal in the 98th minute.
Bryant 2, Robert Morris 1
Records: Bryant (6-3-0, 3-0-0 NEC), Robert Morris (3-8-2, 2-2-1)
Coach Purcell's Comment
"Just a brilliant comeback win. This is a tough place to play and I thought we battled extremely hard for that victory. The freshmen have definitely stepped up this year and to have Alex back is icing on the cake. He's a special player."
- DaCosta stood over a free kick in overtime and drilled a shot that caromed off the RMU keeper and into the back of the net for the golden goal.
- 15th minute – RMU 1, Bryant 0 – Cristian Palermo placed a corner kick inside the six and Riccardo Rota was able to redirect it home with his head to make it 1-0.
- 51st minute – Bryant 1, RMU 1 – DaCosta played give-and-go with Victor Rey (Lincoln, R.I.), getting a return pass just outside the six-yard box before placing a shot back across his body and into the lower left corner of the goal.
- 98th minute – Bryant 2, RMU 1 – Bryant was awarded a free kick from 35 yards out and DaCosta rifled the ball on frame and the RMU keeper was unable to corral it.
- Bryant is now 8-0-4 all-time against Robert Morris.
- The victory pushes the Bulldogs past Robert Morris and into first place in the Northeast Conference standings.
- Bryant extends its DI program-record winning streak to five games.
- The Bulldogs are also 3-0 in NEC play for the first time in program history.
- The Black and Gold have scored multiple goals in each of their last six matches.
- DaCosta posted his first multi-goal game of the season and his fifth-straight multi-point effort.
- DaCosta's 15 points are the third-most in a single season in DI program history.
- He leads the team with five goals, five assists and 15 points. DaCosta has scored 14 points in his last five games.
- Rey has now registered points in three-straight matches (1g, 2a). He hadn't registered a point since his freshman year.
The Bulldogs wrap up their weekend with a noon kickoff against Saint Francis U on Sunday.