SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Freshman Jake Spaulding (Topsfield, Mass.) scored a pair of goals to lift the Bryant University men's soccer team to a 2-0 victory over Mount St. Mary's on Friday afternoon at the Bulldog Soccer Field.
Bryant 2, Mount St. Mary's 0
Records: Bryant (7-5, 4-2 NEC), Mount St. Mary's (6-7, 2-3 NEC)
Coach Purcell's Comment
"Massive points for the lads today. As one of the players said that was a gutsy performance. It really was. That's a very good team. Big, physical and strong. I thought we played a full, tough 90 minutes. I'm very happy for them, it gives us four wins and now we turn our attention to Sunday."
- Spaulding broke a 0-0 tie by winning a scrum in front of the net and tapping home his first of the game.
- 72nd minute – Bryant 1, Mount 0 – Spaulding took a throw in with his back to the goal and was able to turn and shoot. His first shot was blocked but he was able to knock the loose ball by the goalie and into the back of the net.
- 90th minute – Bryant 2, Mount 0 – Nick Awada (Westford, Mass.) collected a bouncing ball outside the box and was able to shift it to Spaulding. Spaulding took one touch before placing a shot between the charging legs of the goalie.
- Friday's win is Bryant's first over Mount St. Mary's.
- The Bulldogs improve to 5-1 at home this season.
- Friday's game featured four yellow cards with each team receiving two.
- Bryant outshout Mount, 18-8.
- Spaulding posted his first-career multi-goal game.
- Spaulding now has three goals on the season.
- Will Swart (Little Compton, R.I.) made his first collegiate start for the Bulldogs and was not forced to make a save to earn his first collegiate victory and shutout.
- Awada recorded his first-career point with his assist.
The Bulldogs wrap up their weekend with a Sunday matchup at Long Island University.