SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Led by their six seniors, the Bryant University men's swimming and diving team set three pool records in a 197-90 victory over Holy Cross to end their 2017-18 regular season with a win.
Coach Cameron's Comments
The Bulldogs started fast, with an all-senior relay team of Colin Curtin (Wethersfield, Conn.), Ben Schulte (Tumon, Guam), Benon Boyadjian (Middlebury, Conn.) and George Sommerville (Pittsfield, Mass.) setting a pool record in the 200 medley relay (1:34.51).
How the Swimmers Fared
- Schulte won all four of his events, adding wins in the 100 breast (56.74), 200 breast (2:08.04) and 50 free (21.71).
- Sophomore Robert Davis (Glastonbury, Conn.) won both distance events, swimming well in the 500 free (4:49.27) and 1000 free (9:53.96).
- Senior Benon Boyadjian (Middlebury, Conn.) won a pair of events, finishing first in the 100 fly (51.58) and swam his leg of the 200 free relay in 20.81.
- Curtin won the 200 free (1:44.72), besting his personal record by 1.15 seconds.
- Freshman Andrew Allen (Bedford, N.H.) won the 100 back (54.72) in a personal-best time.
- Freshman Matthew Mays (St. Croix, Virgin Islands) won the 200 fly (1:56.30).
- Junior Matt Zichelli (Glen Ridge, N.J.) won the 100 free (48.46).
- Freshman Colby Dixon (Summit, N.J.) won the 200 back (1:58.94).
- Sophomore Juan Gonzalez (Al Safa, Dubai) joined Allen, Mays and Boyadjian to set a pool record in the 200 free relay (1:25.16).
How the Divers Fared
- Freshman Trevor Hazlewood (Corpus Christi, Texas) controlled both the 1-meter (279.60) and 3-meter (285.90) events, setting a school record in the former.
- Junior Kevin Sullivan was able to take second in both events as well for the Bulldogs.
Stats and Notables
- Schulte's swim in the 100 breast set a pool record as well as a season-best.
- He and Boyadjian swam season-bests in the 50 free.
- Sophomore John Blair (West Springfield, Mass.) set a personal-best by 14.17 seconds in his 1000 free (10:39.36).
- Along with Curtin, Mays swam a personal best in the 200 free (1:46.23).
- Sophomore Cyrus Nabavi (Murray, Kent.) set a season-best by 2.51 seconds in the 200 fly (1:59.99) and a personal-best in the 200 back (1:59.99) by 1.43 seconds.
- Gonzalez swam a season-best in the 100 free (48.53).
- Senior Brian Nelson (Saugus, Mass.) set a season-best by 6.15 seconds in the 200 breast.
After a week off competition, the Bulldogs season culminates at the MAAC Championships at Erie Community College in Buffalo, N.Y. February 14-17.