SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University men's swimming and diving team is off to a good start at the 2018 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Championships, earning two medals and finishing the night tied for second with 66 points.
Coach Cameron's Comments
"We set three new school records tonight, which is a great way to start the meet. It is very obvious that the men are ready to have a great weekend."
- The Bulldogs started the night with a school-record swim in the 200 medley relay (1:28.05), earning them a silver medal in the process. Seniors Colin Curtin, Ben Schulte and Benon Boyadjian swam the first three legs, and freshman Andrew Allen finished it off with a strong freestyle.
- Bryant's school-record effort in the 800 free relay (6:40.58) earned a bronze medal in the final event of the night with Schulte and Curtin accompanying sophomore Robert Davis and freshman Matthew Mays.
Stats and Notables
- Bryant in total set three school records on the night, with both relays joining Schulte's opening leg time of 1:37.35 that set a new mark in the 200 free.
- Schulte's leg also made an NCAA "B" cut and beat any other swimmer's opening leg by 1.81.
- Both relays made ECAC "A" cuts.
Day 2 of the Championships commences tomorrow at 10 a.m. at the Burt Flickinger Athletic Center at Erie Community College. The finals are at 6:00 p.m.