SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University men's swimming and diving team won three relays and sophomore Matthew Mays (St. Croix, Virgin Islands) won three individual events over three days at the Harold Anderson Invitational.
Bryant finished the three-day meet in second with 807 points.
How it Happened Friday
- Junior Robert Davis (Glastonbury, Conn.) placed 3rd in the 1650 free (16:46.84).
- The quartet of senior Matt Zichelli (Glen Ridge, N.J.), senior Tavish Boyle (Springfield, N.J.), sophomore Matthew Mastroianni (Glastonbury, Conn.) and classmate Andrew Allen (Bedford, N.H.) finished 2nd in the 200 free relay (1:27.10).
How it Happened Saturday
- Bryant picked up a first-place finish in the 200 medley relay as Mays, Boyle, graduate student Micah Ornelas (San Diego, Calif.) and Zichelli posted a time of 1:30.72.
- Mays then went on to win two individual events, finishing first in the 200 IM (1:55.49) and the 100 back (51.30).
- Ornelas had a good individual day as well, finishing first in the 100 fly (49.00) and second in the 100 breast (58.83).
- Zichelli and Boyle both picked up third-place finishes, Zichelli in the 100 free and Boyle in the 100 breast.
- Bryant swept the 3-meter diving event. Sophomore Trevor Hazlewood (Corpus Christi, Texas) won with a score of 263.15 and was followed by junior Zach Vogel (South Easton, Mass.) and freshman Evan Clark (Doylestown, Pa.).
- The Black and Gold closed the day with a second-place finish in the 800 free relay from Ornelas, Mays, Davis and Mastroianni.
How it Happened Sunday
- The 400 medley relay team of Mays, Boyle, Ornelas and Zichelli took home first place with a time of 3:26.10.
- Mays then posted a victory in the 200 back, winning the event with a time of 1:49.76.
- Ornelas went on to finish second in the 200 fly (1:50.96), while Boyle placed third in the 200 breast (2:12.17).
- It was also a good day for Zichelli as he finished 2-3 with Allen in the 50 free.
- The Bulldogs went 1-2 in the 1-meter dive as Hazlewood completed his sweep of the weekend with a score of 272.70. Vogel finished second.
- Bryant closed out the meet with a victory in the 400 free relay. Allen, Zichelli, Mays and Ornelas teamed up to win the event with a time of 3:08.55.
The Bulldogs will have Thanksgiving off before returning to the pool on Nov. 30 for the Gompei Invitational at WPI.