SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Sophomore Trevor Hazlewood (Corpus Christi, Texas) qualified for Zones for the first time in his career to highlight the first day of the Gompei Invitational for the Bryant University men's swimming and diving team.
The three-day event is using a combined team score and the Bulldogs are currently in second place with 1,419 points between the women's and men's teams.
How it Happened
- Matthew Mays (St. Croix, Virgin Islands) took home first place in the 200 IM, finishing with a time of 1:53.90. Tavish Boyle (Springfield, N.J.) finished eighth in the A final with a time of 1:58.68.
- Andrew Allen (Bedford, N.H.) finaled in the 50 free, finishing fifth with a time of 21.43.
- Boyle also finished seventh in the 200 breast, posting a time of 2:09.99.
- Hazlewood qualified for zones thanks to a six-dive score of 320.70 in the 3-meter dive. It is also a school record.
- Zach Vogel (South Easton, Mass.) was right behind in second place with a score of 251.35, a personal best. Evan Clark (Doylestown, Pa.) also posted a personal-best score.
- Bryant picked up 70 points with a third-place finish in the 200 medley relay. Mays, Boyle, Allen and Matt Zichelli (Glen Ridge, N.J.) finished with a time of 1:32.93.
Day two of the Gompei Invitational begins on Saturday morning with preliminary heats at 9:00 a.m.