SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University men's swimming and diving team swept both relays and Micah Ornelas (San Diego, Calif.) won a pair of individual events to highlight an outstanding second day at the Gompei Invitational on Saturday.
With the performance, the Bulldogs lead the 14-team meet with a combined score of 3,661.5.
How it Happened
- The men opened the meet with a tie for first in the 200 free relay. Ornelas, Matthew Mays (St. Croix, Virgin Island), Matt Zichelli (Glen Ridge, N.J.) and Andrew Allen (Bedford, N.H.) posted a time of 1:22.96.
- Ornelas continued his dominant season by winning the 400 IM by almost 15 seconds, posting a time of 3:55.76.
- Mays swam in the A final of the 100 back, finishing fifth with a time of 51.14.
- Ornelas picked up his second individual victory of the day with a time of 21.36 in the 50 fly.
- He was joined in the A final by Zach Digiaro (Middletown, N.J.), who finished fifth.
- Tavish Boyle (Springfield, N.J.) finished fifth in the 100 breast with a time of 57.65.
- The men completed the sweep of the days relays with a victory in the 400 medley. Mays, Boyle, Ornelas and Zichelli won the event with a time of 3:20.19.
- Bryant finished 1-3-5 in the 3-meter dive. Trevor Hazlewood (Corpus Christi, Texas) won the event with an 11-dive score of 496.70. Zach Vogel (South Easton, Mass.) was third (424.80) and Evan Clark (Doylestown, Pa.) was fifth (400.35).
- Hazlewood also qualified for the Zones in the 1-meter with a school-record score of 317.40.
The final day of the Gompei Invitational begins on Sunday morning at 9:00 a.m.