SMITHFIELD, R.I. – With the 2019 MAAC Championships less than a month away, the Bryant University men's swimming and diving team got a good tune up on Saturday, falling to Rider, 184-115.
Coach Cameron's Thoughts
"Good day of racing. Men came up short, won a bunch of races but just didn't have the depth to run with Rider -a tough and well coached program. Women's meet was tight throughout and they battled to the end. Women showed what a resilient team they are."
How the Swimmers Fared
- Graduate student Micah Ornelas (San Diego, Calif.) won three more individual events as he readies for the MAAC Championships. He won the 200 fly (1:51.30), the 100 fly (48.80) and the 200 IM (1:52.82).
- Senior Tavish Boyle (Springfield, N.J.) had a strong day in the breast events, winning both the 100 (58.92) and the 200 (2:09.57).
- Junior Robert Davis (Glastonbury, Conn.) swept the distance events, winning the 500 free with a time of 4:48.86 and the 1000 free with a time of 9:53.01.
- Sophomore Matthew Mays (St. Croix Virgin Islands) finished second in the 200 back (1:53.29), while Matt Zichelli (Glen Ridge, N.J.) and Andrew Allen (Bedford, N.H.) finished 2-3 in the 50 free.
How the Divers Fared
- Bryant's top diver in the 3-meter was Zach Vogel (South Easton, Mass.), as he finished third with a score of 247.72.
- Trevor Hazlewood (Corpus Christi, Texas) finished third in the 1-meter with a score of 233.33.
Notes and Notables
- Ornelas finished his week with five individual victories.
Bryant returns to the Chace Athletic Center Pool for its final two home meets of the season starting with a Friday afternoon meet against Cornell on January 25.