SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University men's swimming and diving team earned a 175-119 victory over Iona College on Saturday afternoon at the Chace Athletic Center Pool.
Coach Cameron's Comments
"We had a great week and it's awesome to end it with a win on both sides. Everyone did a good job working on the details this past week and it showed. Both men and women stepped up today and performed great all around."
Notes and Notables
- Bryant opened the meet with a victory in the 200 medley relay. Matthew Mays (St. Croix, Virgin Islands), FuKang Wong (Johor, Malaysia), Zach DiGiaro (Middletown, N.J.) and Andrew Allen (Bedford, N.H.) claimed first with a time of 1:33.77.
- It was the start of a good day for both Mays and Wong. Mays went on to win the 100 back (51.41), 200 back (1:51.16) and the 200 fly (1:53.06) to complete a perfect afternoon.
- Wong was even better, setting two more pool records on Saturday. He broke his own pool records in winning the 100 breast (54.59) and the 200 breast (2:03.51). Wong closed his day with a victory in the 200 IM (1:54.85).
- Wong's time in the 100 breast is now the 11th fastest in the country.
- Allen also followed with a strong individual day as he won the 50 free (21.71) and the 100 free (47.70).
- Matthew Mastroianni (Glastonbury, Conn.) and Eric Bebel (Westfield, N.J.) made it a clean sweep in the 100 free, finishing 2-3.
- Robert Davis (Glastonbury, Conn.) finished second in both the 500 free and 1000 free.
- The Bulldogs closed the meet with a win in the 400 free relay. Mastroianni, Bebel, Davis and Allen combined to win the event with a time of 3:10.78, two one hundredths of second faster than Iona.
- On the boards, Trevor Hazlewood (Corpus Christi, Texas) won the 1-meter with a score of 262.58, while Zach Vogel (South Easton, Mass.) won the 3-meter with a score of 257.33.
- Benjamin Prouty (East Lyme, Conn.) set a personal best with a score of 216.83 in the 3-meter.
The Bulldogs will travel to New London, Conn., to swim against the Coast Guard Academy on Nov. 2.