SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University men's tennis team opens its fall season this weekend as it competes at the Ivy Plus hosted by Yale University in New Haven, Conn.
In addition, redshirt junior Matt Kuhar (Smithfield, R.I.) will compete at the Oracle ITA Masters Tournament in Malibu, Calif. He opened his season on Thursday.
Event: Ivy Plus | Oracle ITA Masters Tournament
Location: New Haven, Conn. | Malibu, Calif.
About the Ivy Plus (Website)
- The Ivy Plus is one of the premier tournaments on the east coast this weekend. It will feature 21 different schools, including all eight Ivy League teams.
- It also includes 21 nationally-ranked players, including No. 7 Alfredo Perez (Florida), No. 38 Victor Pham (Columbia), No. 65 Kenny Tao (Harvard) and No. 94 Dylan King (Yale).
- The Yale site of the tournament will feature four singles draws and two doubles draws.
About the Oracle ITA Masters Tournament (Website)
- The 2017 Oracle ITA Masters will be the first ITA National Championship of the 2017-18 season.
- This will be the third year of the tournament, which features a 32-player singles competition.
- Invitations were sent to one man and one woman from each Division I conference.
- Kuhar, the reigning Northeast Conference Player of the Year, will represent the Bulldogs in Southern California and has drew the top seed in the tournament, Wake Forest's Petros Chrysochos.
- Chrysochos is the No. 3 ranked player in the country.
- Kuhar fell to Chrysochos on Thursday, 6-2, 7-5, and will now face UC Santa Barbara's Simon Freund in the consolation round on Friday.
- At the Ivy Plus, Bryant will have four players in the singles competition.
- Freshman Trent Massam (Wellington, New Zealand) drew Dartmouth's John Speicher in the first round on Friday.
- Senior Jorge Ortiz-Garcia (Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico) will face Brown's Ben Collier in the first round.
- Younger brother Jorge Isaias Ortiz-Garcia (Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico) drew Marist's Chris Gladden in the first round.
- Freshman Grant Pertile (Edgartown, Mass.) drew a first round bye and will face Brown's Will Bader in the round of 32.
- In doubles, the Ortiz-Garcia brothers have a bye in the first round.
- The freshmen duo of Pertile/Massam also received a first-round bye and will face Yale's team of Nathan Brown and Dennis Wang.